Thread: Question about Burr Oak

Question about Burr Oak

I was just wondering if anyone had some information on the quality of Burr Oak as cabinet quality wood. I have the oppurtunity to get my hands on quite a few logs and wanted to know if they are worth getting cut up into lumber. If nothing else I thought it would be nice to have for shop furniture.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Bur Oak

Wes -

How long is the main trunk? If 8" or so, it might be worth having it sawed for general use. Once you get to the branches, the wood is very reactive and of course full of knots.

Grew up in Kansas where trees are sometimes a rare commodity. Bur oak are nice trees for hedge rows and general decoration. Wood is OK, not spectacular.

Ted

Thumbs up Bur Oak

Bur Oak is from the white oak family. When you buy "white oak lumber" you are buying several types of whites oaks including bur oak. If you quarter saw bur oak the figure is beautiful and it is great for furniture or whatever. I have sawn up several big bur oaks on my mill and love it. I am in the process of accumulating 4" wide qtr sawn bur for a kitchen floor.