Thread: First Project Completed - Oak Crib

First Project Completed - Oak Crib

Attached is my first woodworking project. My daughter surprised me with a request to build a crib for the child she and her husband were expecting. She gave me just short of four months to complete it. Since I had just purchased a couple of used pieces of woodworking equipment (table saw and planer), I could hardly say no without my wife questioning my purchases. Ten months later, I finally delivered the crib.

Bed 1.jpg Bed 2.jpg Bed 3.jpg

The bed is the 3-in-1 design from Wood Magazine. I chose white oak instead of the recommended material which was maple, because part of the table saw/planer deal included a large amount of rough sawn white oak lumber.

Although the project was far beyond my skill, I'm glad I had something challenging as my first project. The mistakes I made are too numerous to list, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the work-arounds and corrections worked out. Thanks to the members of SawmillCreek for the knowledge you make available to us who are new to this hobby.

I have one post project question. I applied four coats of polyurethane and finished sanding the finish with 2000 grit sandpaper. I dry-sanded, but someone suggested that I could have wet-sanded the finish as well. I wouldn't have thought so since this was wood, but it was pointed out that the polyurethane would have prevented any moisture from getting into the wood. Any opinions on this?

That's a very nice crib. Bet it will be passed on to the next grand baby and even the next generation. Work of that quality gets handed down in the family. Never admit to any mistakes, call them modifications and improvements.

I have rubbed out poly with mineral spirits for the lubricant and brown paper, from a grocery bag, on a felt pad. Once the poly has cured it's no longer affected by the mineral spirits. Made for a very smooth soft to touch finish. Never tried water.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by David Masters View Post
    Attached is my first woodworking project.

Although the project was far beyond my skill,
    Clearly not.

The mistakes I made are too numerous to list....
    Learn this bit early: Mistakes that are glaring to you will never be noticed by anyone other than - maybe - a fellow woodworker who is looking for mistakes. Never publicly admit to mistakes, and never point them out to anyone. Perpetuate the mystique.

I'm pretty satisfied with how the work-arounds and corrections worked out
    The most important lesson of all, Grasshopper. You can recover, without breaking stride, from just about any issues. Except cutting wood too short - that gets complicated. Don't do that one.

And - the final result is in the 3d photo. A happy granddaughter.

I think it looks great - good job on your first at-bat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Crib looks good. Have feeling honey do list will grow fast.

That's a nice crib. Good job.

The problem with doing wet sanding once you've finished a project is that there are likely nooks and crannies (joints) that it can get into that are not fully protected by the poly (or whatever finish you've used) and that's not a great idea. Not likely disastrous but I prefer to avoid it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-30-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Blog Entries
    That came out wonderful and a crib that grows with the child is such a great long-term gift. Great job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

An oak crib was my first project as well. Lots of satisfaction in this hobby, enjoy the ride. Fantastic job!