Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start fine box building?

How to start fine box building?

I have a decent shop. My grandfather passed and left me with some things. The bug hit just before he passed and it was fortuitous. Boom I'm a woodworker (hobbyist)! Currently in the shop:
    Craftsman TS 113xxx (good shape and a flat table, bigger motor added on and I'm actually happy with it. I'm not worried about the fence yet)
    Two floor drill presses
    Router Table
    6" Walker Turner Jointer
    12" Delta lunchbox
    Grinding wheel

Hand Tools:
    Adj. Mouth Low Ang. Block, Stanley 4 1/2, 5 1/4, 5, 8c, 80, and 47 (with 9 cutters! and everything else), also a newer stanley I've turned scrub
    sharpening system (I'm good with this)
    Stanley 750 bevel edge chisel set
    Marples chisel set
    Veritas 14 tpi dovetail saw, coping saw
    a collection of tuned rip and cross diston, atkins, and warrented panel saws
    marking guages, sliding squares, t-bevel,

I need a book/website/tutorial that lays out the steps to do fine boxwork with hand tools. I know I have a hybrid shop at my disposal but I would rather do it all old school.

Anybody have any advice or see anything I'm missing?

Any of Andrew Crawford's books would be a good place to start.

http://www.box-making.com/books/

or you could do a course with Andrew.

http://www.box-making.com/
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Howdy Eric,

Welcome to the Creek. You do not list a location in your profile.

I do not have any books that pertain to boxes specifically. Some are on making shelves, furniture and other joinery. For all practical purposes a furniture case or drawer is a type of box.

My question would be what kind of boxes are you going to build?

Doing a search on > book of boxes < brought up the Crawford book Tony suggested but it also brings up a book of boxes by M.C. Escher. Those are some different boxes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What will be your starting point and what do you need to learn?

1. Will you take rough wood and dimension it by hand, purchase wood ready to go?
    2. Your chosen joinery method will determine what skills you need to learn. Dovetails? Miters?
    3. How to attach the top and bottom. Do you need to learn to cut a rabbit or dado?

Consider the last box that I built. The box is roughly 18" x 11" x 11". So, it is not a very small box.

I milled the wood primarily using power tools (sorry neanders). I used hand planes to joint the edges. I chose hand cut dovetails to create the case. I then used frame / panel type construction for the top and bottom.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-a-locking-box

Last time I created a mitered edge box, I used the table saw to cut the miters.

If you live near Columbus, Ohio, I can loan you a book on making boxes; then again, the library has some books as well.

Blog Entries
    Are you considering solid wood, or veneer over substrate? That would be the most important factor in where to begin, in my opinion.

If solid wood, take a long look at the box that George Wilson made for the queen, it is inspirational.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Any of Andrew Crawford's books would be a good place to start.

http://www.box-making.com/books/

or you could do a course with Andrew.

http://www.box-making.com/
    He (Andrew) has a very interesting email newsletter. I haven't received one in a while but I always look forward to them.

Doug Stowe also has a couple books on box making, though more from a hybrid perspective I believe.

http://www.dougstowe.com

Welcome to the other side and will look forward to seeing your progress. Boxes build a great number of skills in small packages.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have been cutting dovetails by hand for about 6 months and have been learning how to dimension by hand. I'm fairly proficient at both. I'm just looking for something that gives me one or two projects so I can get a concept of dimensions, box top creation/cutting/hinging, and finishes.

What I don't want is a book of pictures of boxes. Just step by steps for some interesting stuff. I have very little understanding of veneering and would like to go solid hardwood.

Step 1: What do you want to do with the box? If you just want to make something that is very simple, consider something small like this box I created to hold toothpicks.

tooth_pick_box_font_view.jpgtooth_pick_box_rear_view.jpgtooth_pick_box_open_view.jpg

The box is roughly 3 1/8" wide (I chose the width so that internally, it would hold toothpicks. The depth is roughly 2 7/8" and the height (ignoring the top and bottom) is roughly 7/8" to 15/16". The wood is just under 1/4" thick. I used hard maple for the sides with a miter cut. I glued the sides and did nothing else. For this application, i considered it sufficient. For the top, I used white oak. I cut it to fit (mostly). I simply glued the bottom in place and then I sanded it smooth. I cut a space for the hinges in the back recessed sufficiently so that the top will sit flat. Simple, very easy, and sufficient for the application. It does not get any easier than this I think. If the box would take a bit more abuse, I would have used some decorative splines to re-enforce the corners.

I made another box that is still pretty small that I sometimes put candy in. I do not have a photo of the box, but, how big is a candy box? Perhaps 6" x 6" and 4 or 5 inches tall. The base is a bit wider than the case and I used a hand plane to cut a miter for the case base to fit over. I then used a hand plane to bevel the part that was wider than the box case. The top is the same except it has a rabbit so that the top will set into the top of the case and then I cut a bevel on the top for looks. I connected the sides together using hand-cut dovetails.

I have made four boxes for chisels. I started with a case sized to fit the chisels. The first boxes that I made (years back at this point) are pretty rough looking. For the bottom and the top, I simply glued the top and bottom in place. I expected that they would pop-off based on wood movement, but nothing so far. After building the completely enclosed case, I used the table saw to cut the box apart and then I hinged the top to the bottom. For two of the boxes, I used a frame and panel top and bottom so that they would be better able to expand and contract with movement.

Another type of box that I have seen regularly (from a how do you attach the top perspective) is a top that slides in place kind of like you have for a drawer bottom.

My 8 year old (turns 9 in two weeks) has decided that she likes stamps. So, I think that one of our first projects will be to build a small wooden box that will hold a few stamp supplies such as stamp tongs (think tweezers), a small pair of scissors, magnifying glass, small plastic tray / bowl to check for watermarks, and a stamp perf guide. I have not decided how we will build that, but, I will let her choose the wood and style.

So, any thoughts on what methods you will likely use?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    What I don't want is a book of pictures of boxes. Just step by steps for some interesting stuff.
    There's a book by Jim Stack, "Box by Box", that is close to step-by-step for 15 to 20 boxes. It's spiral-bound to lay flat on your bench.

It starts with easy ones and progresses to much more difficult styles. It's the closest I know to what you're looking for.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I've got a few books on box making and have looked at several others but in my opinion the only one worth it's keep is Box Making Basics. Each box teaches new techniques for lids, hinges, feet, etc. It includes info on stock selection and preparation, as well as finishing, and taught me "all" I needed to know when I first took up woodworking several years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Box-Making-Bas...rds=box+making

+1 on Box Making Basics
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It really depends on what sort of boxes you have in mind? How "fine" and fancy?

My last project was a little box to hold dominoes as a gift to my Dad.

It's not super fancy or complicated. Built it almost exclusively with hand tools. For the most part I could have built it with your set. I might have needed

- rasps
    - gouges
    - saws for sizing and shooting stock - and for resawing panels
    - dowel plate
    - wheel gauge (personal preference for marking)
    - marking knife

Oh, and my douzuki (japanese rip saw) for cutting the box open (I happen to use it for the tails too)
    - also too, my favorite little saw - flush cut - http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...ble-blade.aspx
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 10-30-2014 at 5:52 PM.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Love that organic handle Sean and the domino detail on the end.

Sean, I've seen this box before on the Creek, and I absolutely love it. My dad also plays dominos, so I hope to be able to make something similar soon. The detail that I really love on it is the top, where the dovetail kind of curves over. How did you shape that? It looks almost as if the top edge is kind of concave across the the box - is that correct? Anyway, it really is a wonderful little box.