Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you prototype before building?

How often do you prototype before building?

When youre building something, how often do you build a mockup or prototype just to get the hang of it, or to confirm it will work out the way you think?

This came to mind because Im going to build a couple Mahogany end tables soon, and I plan to use mortise and tenon joints in several places. So, I think I'll make a few practice joints in pine just to practice the hand-cut M&T techniques. (I'm a hybrid woodworker.) But I wasnt planning to build the entire table before moving to the Mahogany. On the other hand, Ive also gone to the extreme of building a complete 1/4 size model of my workbench, just to think it through and develop the approach I used to fabricate the full size bench. (Gave the baby bench to a little kid when I was done using it. )

But prototyping takes time and money. So I just wanted to compare notes with you folks to see how often other people do it. And also to ask if there are other ways than prototyping to accomplish the same things?

As always, thanks for your help and insights.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have done it a few times for "complex" things to work certain aspects out...like a chair.

For some other things where I want to be sure of the joinery, like the tables you mention, there's no harm in building the project in a more economical species of wood before you commit to the expensive stuff. It will be a usable piece of furniture in some other setting!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've never done anything complicated enough to do a full mock-up, but I have done some method-testing of new joints and the like, much like you're describing.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Almost never in a complete form but almost always in some way shape or form on every project. Usually I use poplar, MDF laminations, scraps, something cheap or free that mimics the actual results well enough. I just cut up a pile of dovetail practice corners I had laying around for years, was making some drawers with hand cut dovetails, pile of poplar corners got made. Sometimes I'll lay out curves on thin stock as a sort of test, could become a master template if it works, easy to discard if not. Throw in some full scale drawings or sections, works for me. I say do whatever works for you, don't feel stuck to one formula unless that is what works for you, feel free to tailor your approach to the project at hand.

I will build a test piece when the wood is expensive.And proportion need figuring out.I have better energy when I build if I have worked out some of the unknown.Aj

Never. In the past 1-2 years I've tackled more and more complicated things (for me at least) that either there was no way to build a mock up or simply I didn't have the time for. I usually don't even have a full plan when I start building and the numbers change as I go depending on how I feel things should be. The only time I made a full plan with measurements was for the cabinets that i'm about to build as simply there are way too many numbers to keep track of.

Never for me as well.

Complicated projects are worked out in CAD. A 40 year relationship with my tools gives me the confidence to just press forward.

Blog Entries
    Not so much anymore. With computer programs so many details and differing ideas can be worked out in the virtual world. I did continue the habit probably longer than I actually needed to. It just felt comfortable.

Pallet wood to scale
    n-Ped-Table-foot-1.jpg

Walnut
    FWW-post-2.jpg

Pallet wood to scale
    proto w drawer.jpg

Ash
    SU-Compare-002.jpg

Mahogany reduced scale
    ww-GnG BC-1-top-trim-tenoning.jpg

Walnut
    CoD-Finished-7.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

3D sketchup models. This allows me to get proportions right from all angles. If I'm trying a new procedure, I'll try it out on scrap first but never built a real "prototype"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    3D sketchup models. This allows me to get proportions right from all angles. If I'm trying a new procedure, I'll try it out on scrap first but never built a real "prototype"
    +1. A 3D model helps you work out both style/design issues as well as structural issues. It also helps me to think though assembly. Finally, I will present the design to my wife and get her input. That really helps to get her invested in my hobby.

Backfired on me. When our first grand child was born (now 26), I decided to make a nice rocking horse for her. I made a prototype out of scrap pine I had, with large knots and all. The wife loved it, and ordered, I think, 18 more which were made with much more care. Gave them to all the nieces, nephews, good friends, and one as a door prize for a charity.

Which one did the wife keep? The prototype, naturally. Why? She said "that one was the first one you made". It is still in our living room.

Any mockups I do now are MDF. I'll show her.

Rick Potter

Depends, I'm not that good that I can count on myself to build a complicated piece or do some technique with which I'm not familiar without some sort of mockup. If I was using real expensive wood for sure, I'd do some sort of mockup first with real cheap stuff. I'll built a template when it's possible. My first attempt at a clock would have been a loss of a lot of good cherry if I hadn't built a mockup first. Took me a lot of time and some expense, but the result was so much better because it was a learning experience of techniques I wasn't familiar with. Although I must admit, when I built a large cabinet for LOML I was a little hesitant to build a mock up of that so I went charging ahead and did the final version from the giddyup. I was a little hesitant so I used a little less than the very best Maple on one of the raised panels. Now I wish I had used the very best Maple because it turned out fine and she loves it, but I know it would look a little better with better wood.
    Last edited by Don Morris; 10-29-2014 at 3:21 AM.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    +3...........

Blog Entries
    Sometimes. I last did it to figure out a curve on curve joint. Sometimes I build a practice piece (not a prototype per se, but a piece that allows me to be confident in the method. The last one was coopering. I will be building coopered and inlayed doors; so I practiced on a coopered box top.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks guys! This is helpful to me.

Might be that Im going to have to learn sketch up as one more tool in my toolbox. But it sounds like the prototyping approach isnt uncommon.

Rick, Ive had the same thing happen - they love the prototype and wont let go of it. Funny how that goes, isnt it? Glenn, where do you keep all your pallet prototypes?

Have a good one!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”