Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: circuit breaker finder

Blog Entries
    Man up! Don't need to trip no stinkin breaker to work on a switch! That is why they invented life insurance!
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Man up! Don't need to trip no stinkin breaker to work on a switch! That is why they invented life insurance!
    A REAL man! Can I be named as your beneficiary?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grano View Post
    I am in the process of rewiring my shop and am looking for a good circuit breaker finder.

I bought one by Sperry and it finds the circuit but I have to find the exact circuit breaker since it beeps on 2-3 breakers.
    I have a Sperry as well. Playing with the red 'sensitivity' wheel helps but yeah, they're not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    I've used several types of those tracers and on all of them the transmitter (the little box that plugs into the receptacle) was line powered, not battery powered. If your transmitter does NOT have a battery then just shut off the indicated breakers one at a time. When you get to the one that powers the receptacle with the transmitter it will no longer transmit and the beeping will stop.
    I just had a tremendous "Doh!" moment. Why didn't I ever think of that? ...assuming, of course, that you can turn off the other circuits without causing problems.

Originally Posted by David L Morse I've used several types of those tracers and on all of them the transmitter (the little box that plugs into the receptacle) was line powered, not battery powered. If your transmitter does NOT have a battery then just shut off the indicated breakers one at a time. When you get to the one that powers the receptacle with the transmitter it will no longer transmit and the beeping will stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    I just had a tremendous "Doh!" moment. Why didn't I ever think of that? ...assuming, of course, that you can turn off the other circuits without causing problems.
    +1 on the "Doh"!. If the normal mode narrows it down to 2 breakers, you only need to flip those two.

With the Sperry and even others you can sometimes eliminate the false trips by holding the receiver at different angles while rechecking the breakers that indicated. Usually you can check them several times and weed out the false indications so only one is left. It's not bad and doesn't take long because you only need to do this on maybe 3 breakers tops.
    I like the Ideal brand the best, but even it will false indicate sometimes.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Wires.jpgWell, look on the bright side- it could be worse. You could have to trace these. (not my photo)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Wires.jpgWell, look on the bright side- it could be worse. You could have to trace these. (not my photo)
    Holy cow! That will haunt my dreams!
    Paul