Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Stanley No.6 question (buying advice)

A Stanley No.6 question (buying advice)

Hi, I found this plane on a local site, it's for sale at a cost of 30 euros + 9 euros shipping. I read up a little on the No.6 plane on the Blood & Gore site and mostly it seemed to say a No7 is better and this serves little purpose. Still I don't have a No7 either.

There are two holes in the front for some reason, I suspect they don't affect the functioning of the plane and where put there by a previous owner for some reason, perhaps they hanged the plane from hooks? Description says it has a grooved (corrugated?) base too, I got a grooved No3 which is my main hand plane, not sure what to think of bases like that, but they seem to work.

The plane has been up for a while without any bids or offers so I am thinking of making an offer, perhaps 20 euros. Still is it worth it or should I keep on looking for a No.7 instead? If I got this I probably wouldn't get a 7 unless I found a screaming deal.

I got an 8" jointer/planer combo machine so I'm not lacking for planing ability. But I like to use hand planes from time to time and they can get to places where you can't go with a machine. So I am looking to build a collection of the most useful sizes and types, i.e. planes for being used not for collecting.

Made in England? Wow, THAT is interesting. Not that I am a plane guru or anything. Just never seen a Stanley made in England. "over there" it may be common though. I just bought a Corrugated Bottom #7 for less (20 USD) in better shape than that. About a year ago I got a CB #8 for 25. (Needed a lot of work) Not sure how much value in a CB plane is either. Just to toss in my $0.02. (opinion) I would pass, since it is a #6, or offer 15 euros. About 20 USD? It looks to be in pretty decent shape. (Personally if it were available here, I would actually buy it just to have a made in England plane. And I don't have a #6.)

Blog Entries
    The holes are found in many planes an owner wanted to hang on a wall. Usually there is just one. Maybe this plane's previous owner felt a bigger plane needed two nails, thus the two hang holes.

That one doesn't look to be in very good shape. Your local market is unknown to me. Some locations are crawling with second hand tools, other areas have very little available.

Without seeing the blade it is even more of a chance. A new blade can cost as much or more than the plane.

The handles can also be expensive.

I would want to see a lot more pictures before making a decision. The lateral lever doesn't look right. For my own planes, if it has the later ogee frog, I would pass at just about any price.

If it is a good user plane, my tops on it would be about $25 U.S. including the shipping.

FYI, I am a bit of a cheap skate when it comes to buying old hand planes. I am usually patient enough to wait for a good deal to come along.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably pass and wait for a 7. I too can be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Just never seen a Stanley made in England.
    They're common in England. Most that I have seen have been relatively new (I've only actually used one, and it was a friend's - whose dad had left it behind after a life of carpentering).

Dennis, I think the plane is fairly priced, and as a counter opinion to jims, I think the condition looks pretty good. The pictures are bad, and there is rust on the iron, but the rust is light surface rust.

I'll also offer a counter to patrick's opinion on B&G, and that is that the suggestion that a #6 is useless is only patrick's opinion. They are one of my favorite sized planes. I don't know how much woodworking patrick does, maybe he does a lot, maybe he doesn't. I never personally had any trouble productively using a #6, and they are similar in size to a large infill panel plane, a type that people tend to think of as a do-all when flattening furniture sized work.

Dennis,

I agree with David; from the two pictures the plane seems mostly in need of a good cleaning, but you might request a money back guarantee in case the sole isn't quite flat, or if there's a hidden flaw somewhere such as a crack in the casting or broken handle.

I also agree with David that a No. 6 can be a very useful plane; I've never understood what I've read of Patrick's antipathy to them.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 10-29-2014 at 9:05 AM.

Ah this thread just became more interesting, now I got 2 opinions each way. Good to know the #6 does have uses.

Only comment I'd make is if you're looking for a jointer to joint (especially long) edges, I'd stick with buying a jointer for that. Expect it to be more expensive.

You can do it with a 6 without too much trouble, but you'll read so often that you need a jointer that eventually it will bother you and you will buy one somewhere.

It is possible that in time I will have one of each size, it's hard to say when looking into the far future what things will be like.

Still, I want to resist buying things if I can make do well enough with a similar plane. For instance if I can make do with a #6 instead of a #5, then I'd call that a good thing, I'd rather have one plane I use a lot than a bunch that I use sparingly.

I have a #3 and for that reason I am resistant to buying a #4 or a #4½, I figure I can do with it what you can with a ¤4. I'd rather skip to a #5, or perhaps a #6?

A 5, 5 1/2 or a 6 can all be used for the same thing. The 6 is a bit heavier, but if you keep some wax handy to wax the sole, the weight is not a problem. The only one that I have is set up for coarse work, and it does that quite well.

Blog Entries
    My thoughts on the #6:

The #6 is commonly caled a fore plane, and it is widely accepted that it was used for planing door panels, such as cabinet doors. I personally think it is very useful as a jointer for shorter stock. Who needs a long jointer when it's longer than the stock?

The one you show in the image looks pretty decent, even if not pristine. Certainly I would low-ball the offer, but it looks like a good user. The "Made in England" notation is no surprise to me. They made planes in GB for that market. I may be wrong on this-someone please correct me, but weren't all the GB made planes Baileys?

So if you are doing small stock, sure get the #6. If you do more long stuff, wait for a #7. If you do a lot of glued panels where you need to flatten a short panel, and therefore need something maybe shorter than a 7, but longer than a 5, or if you commonly joint shorter boards, well there's your plane!

As for the holes, I agree that they were drilled by a previous owner for hanging the tool, although you more commonly see only one hole. It does not impede the performance of the tool, but it does lower the value to a collector, so use it as a talking point to get him down to 25 Euro or less.

Cheers,
    Malcolm

Blog Entries
    Good to know the #6 does have uses.
    As a matter of fact my #6s get a lot of work in my shop. At one time Patrick Leach's dislike of them seemed to keep their price low. Maybe people finding out they could make shavings just like all the others got them back in the game.

My main concern is the lateral lever doesn't look like the 'tiller' lever used on most planes made for and by Stanley. I believe Record made planes for Stanley, but that may not be correct.

That is one reason I would like to see more pictures before making a decision.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought a #6 Sweethart about 10 or 12 years ago, along with a MF fence. Spent about $80 for both and the plane was in excellent shape. Used both for a few years and would still be using it, except wife bought me an LN #7 for Christmas. Learned to use it for jointing and without the fence.

With that said, I wouldn't part with my #6 (and fence) for less than $125. Is it worth that much? Given the condition, and the fence, I would say at least to me it is.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I ended up with two of them for reasons not worth going over. It's nice to have a plane set up to take off a lot of wood, but not as much as a 5 will. I have one set up to take about half what a 5 will, and the other to take half of what the first 6 takes. My 7 goes to substantially thinner shavings-like a thou and a half maybe. (talking close to full width shavings on all of these) The 6s actually do get used, but not as much as the more commonly owned ones.

I wouldn't buy that one. I like cheap, but don't like putting a lot of time into getting one ready to use. A rusty, pitted iron is a no-go for me.

To me the plane looks like a great user in need of cleaning and sharpening. I don't use my #6 a lot because I have a #7. So far as the price goes it is about right; I see they sell for about that in rougher shape on ebay. To claim that the price is too high because you got a #7 for $20 is ignoring the fact that you got a screaming deal on a #7.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)