Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Safety poll: Do you use the guard on your tablesaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    1 No guard or splitter. Board always jammed up on me when using the guard and splitter
    Clarence, that sounds like a saw alignment adjustment was needed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll come in here late to say #3 for my shop. The splitter because mine is a riving knife and is very rarely in the way, and the Biesemeyer overarm guard is great for fine dust capture. I proactively had someone from the state OSHA office come through a few years ago and he liked it.
    JR

#3: Guard and riving knife whenever I can make the cut on my Sawstop

4. I am one of the brave (or stupid) ones who does not use a guard or riving knife. They always seem to be in the way and seem to be more bother than help

Riving knife (positioned below the top of the blade so I can make non-through cuts) on my sliding panel saw. I use the blade guard ONLY because of the dust extraction port built into it (and I don't like knots bouncing off my forehead).

On my secondary table saw (a no-name contractors saw used mostly for dados, grooves, and rabbets), never - it's too much of a pain in the butt. Even when this saw was my main saw, I didn't use the splitter - if/when I eventually replace it, the replacement will have a riving knife - splitters are stupid technology, if they weren't, there wouldn't be so many "work arounds" on the market.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I have an older left tilt Delta contractor saw and it is first in line to be replaced by a new tool for the shop. Having no other real option, I use the Micro Jig splitter and their GRR Ripper. I know you can make all kinds of push blocks for far less than the $60 GRR Ripper, but it is very versatile and I use it on the table saw, router and jointer. I'm just an amateur, but pure dumb luck was on my side as I did so many dumb things with the table saw before I really learned to be safe.

Once I got a saw with a proper riving knife and guard I always use it. I had a 1970s Unisaw with no guard and then in 1990 I bought a new PM66 with a crap guard. Tried to use the guard a few times and then tossed it behind the bench.

When I got a Sawstop ISC with the Riving knife and guard I loved it and because an "Always" user. I have since upgraded to a large Felder slider and It too has a great riving knife and guard and I use it always too.