Thread: Looking for Lumber in Pittsburgh

Looking for Lumber in Pittsburgh

I hope I'm not posting this to the wrong forum. I'll be moving to Pittsburgh in a few weeks and want to put up shelves in my kitchen. I'm thinking 6-quarter painted wood (maybe poplar?) and looking for a source near Pittsburgh. I don't have a jointer or planer so it will have to be finished on all sides. If anyone has a recommendation please post.

Brookside Lumber in Bethel Park.

If you're painting, laminate two 3/4 boards.
    It will be less expensive, and if you oppose the grain
    of the boards - your shelves will be MUCH stiffer against deflection.

6/4 stock is more expensive on most any species.

If it was me (and it isn't)
    I would glue two 3/4" plywood boards together
    and put solid edging on the front - then paint.

Baird Bros in Canfield OH. Yeah it's not in The Burch but you'll be glad that you made the trip.

Auto correct. /s/Burch/Burgh/

There is also Mars lumber in Mars Pa, thats around Wexford

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Reda View Post
    There is also Mars lumber in Mars Pa, thats around Wexford
    +1 for Mars Lumber. I live about 1/2 hour south of them, but work on 228 where that are located in Mars, PA, very easy lunch time trot for any material I need.

I'd also go with mars. Just watch out if they ask you if you'd like your boards cut - they charged me $5 for every time they pulled the handle on a RAS, which I thought was pretty ridiculous (without telling me they'd charge $5 a board to halve them). I'd have cut the wood in their parking lot myself if I'd have known they were going to charge $5 a board on wood that I didn't get to pick, anyway. The wood there isn't spectacular, it's OK, but it won't matter if you're painting poplar.

If you stick around here and start buying wood as a hobbyist, it's worth your time to get to know the guys who drop off wood to the pittsburgh woodworking club in the city. The wood is better quality and cheaper, and they drop it off once every week or two weeks.