Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanding discs.

sanding discs.

been awhile since i have needed any but thought I would ask around and see where folks are buying their velcro sanding discs these days. I am well aware of vince and his product, but am curious as to what else is out there.
    Never hurts to do comparative shopping from time to time .

Try his new green ones?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

3. yep........+1 on the green discs........I got an assortment from him at our symposium back in september for a good deal. 25 each of all grits from 80-800 for about $36 if I recall.........the backing is mylar and the grit really cuts well and lasts longer than other discs. I have been very pleased!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Where can I find some info on Vince's discs?

Yep like i stated i am well aware of vince and his products am more curious about other vendors, distributors etc etc.

most "seasoned" turners I know buy from Vince or from Steve Worcester at www.turningwood.com

The Sanding Glove is a great source with lots of choices too.

How do the green discs compare with Vince's older blue discs? I am still working through a massive pile of blue ones I bought some time back but will eventually need to order more.

I am finding the discs coming off, often,when inside sanding. I think the Velcro is too "fine". I also use the green and have had it come off and stain the wood green and it's hard to get off. Again this is inside sanding when moving around. The holders have course "hook and loop" and the discs is fine. I am unhappy with that. If someone puts out a courser disc backing I will be all over it.

I just returned a batch of the small green discs to Vince because they wouldn't stay on the pad. He replaced them and my initial impression is that the new ones are somewhat more sticky but I haven't used them enough to be sure.

Never had a problem with the blue discs but also haven't used them extensively as many if you have.

Bottom line for me is I won't l order any more green discs from Vince.

There is also Klingspor (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/) If your club is signed up you can get a 10% discount on your order.

I am currently using Vince's blue discs, they are OK. The best I have used are the Green disc's from Craft Supplies. They are pricey, but are the best I have used.

I seem to always been on a quest to find the "best" sanding discs for the money. I've tried a bunch of different brands, and the ones that I like using (and have ordered more than once), are: Klingspor Stearate (light gold colored), and Norton A275 from the Sanding Glove. Klingspor Stearate is a little less expensive than A275, the performance of both is pretty comparable. It's a toss up.

The Sanding Glove also sells Norton Dry Ice which I've tried as well, but they are more expensive than Norton A275 or Klingspor. Dry Ice claims up to 3x the life, but I'm not sure if I can tell that they last that much longer. With the more expensive discs you are inclined to use them past their prime instead of throwing them away. It doesn't hurt so much to throw out an A275 or Klingspor.

I just received some sample discs from turningwood.com. He sells Mirka discs which are a good brand, I've used Mirka many times with my Random Orbit Sander doing flat work. You can order a sample of discs for FREE, including shipping, which is nice. Several times I've ordered $100 worth of discs to try a new brand, only to find out I don't like them. I haven't used the Mirka's yet, but my first impressions as far as flexibility are favorable. Price wise they are about the same as Klingspor and the Norton A275. I do get 10% discount on Klingspor orders through my woodturning club.

I have tried discs from Industrial Abrasives (group buy through my woodturning club), but do not like them. They are much too stiff, and the velcro on the discs doesn't seem to stick as well as other brands. I've also tried Vince's discs but do not like them either for the same reasons.

The best ones I've used are the Indasa Rhynogrip white ones. I get them from 2Sand.com.

I find them to be better and longer lasting than the blue discs at the roughest (60-100) and finest grits (320-600) , where it really counts.