Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upstate NY

Upstate NY

I lived in NY state for 6 years. No one could tell me where Upstate NY began relative to NYC. Does anyone know? I think it must start just North of the Port Authority.

I don't know where it starts but when I took my wife on a surprise trip to Cooperstown, I was shocked to find NYC didn't extend all the way there.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-30-2014 at 1:39 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I lived in NY state for 6 years. No one could tell me where Upstate NY began relative to NYC. Does anyone know? I think it must start just North of the Port Authority.
    Though I live in PA now...I lived in upstate NY most of my life.

Upstate NY is ANYPLACE that does not consider itself part of NYC.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I grew up in Yonkers. I think we generally considered anything north of Westchester Country (or maybe even just north of White Plains), or west of the Hudson, "upstate". Binghamton...Port Jervis...Albany...Buffalo...Syracuse....all the same to us.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 10-30-2014 at 1:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Kingston and that was always thought of as upstate. 90 miles north of the city.

Anything north of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Keith;
    I lived in Fair Haven. That is on Lake Ontario. So now I know.

Google is your friend.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York
    I have always heard it is north of Westchester County.

I grew up in Penfield, a suburb of Rochester. Some people called it upstate, but we referred to it as western NY.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Having grown up in Yonkers, this was basically my view of the world before I moved away:

You have the Bronx...that's where you go eat.

You have Long Island...you know someone that lives there, but you've never visited because there's too much traffic this time of day. Any time of day, actually.

You have the rest of New York...you only go there when some friend from out of town makes you. They think you know everything about the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty, but you don't because you've never actually been there. As you drive them around, they point out the Brooklyn Bridge and you think to yourself, "THAT old piece of junk?"

A little to the north is White Plains. The only reason you know that is because that's where The Galleria is.

Somewhere on the other side of the George Washington Bridge is Atlantic City.

Down south is Florida.

To the west is California. Between New York and California is Texas and the rest of the Midwest.

To the north is upstate. This generally includes Niagara Falls and Canada.

To the east is Russia.

John,
    You said you grew up in Yonkers and considered anything north of White Plains upstate. I live about 60 miles north of NYC on the Connecticut border and work in NYC. I was talking to a guy at work a couple weeks ago and he said he was upstate for the weekend. I asked him where he went. He said Yonkers. He lives in Brooklyn so I guess Yonkers would be upstate to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Maloney View Post
    John,
    You said you grew up in Yonkers and considered anything north of White Plains upstate. I live about 60 miles north of NYC on the Connecticut border and work in NYC. I was talking to a guy at work a couple weeks ago and he said he was upstate for the weekend. I asked him where he went. He said Yonkers. He lives in Brooklyn so I guess Yonkers would be upstate to him.
    That's funny, though I'm not sure I'd trust the opinion of anyone that goes to Yonkers for the weekend

Especially coming from Brooklyn.

I agree w/ Harold. It's anywhere that isn't NYC. For people in NYC, there is NYC and everywhere else. They admit to a VERY loose affiliation with the rest of the state (all of which is upstate except the city) and even less with the rest of the world.

A family was driving back from a weekend at a wedding in New Jersey and the daughter asked her Dad, when they stopped to pay the toll on the GW Bridge, why they had to pay money to get from New Jersey back into the city and he just said "Because it's worth it!"
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.