Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hinds View Post
    I agree w/ Harold.
    I'm sorry...but I just wanted to quote that so I can look at it again.

I'm married, you know...so I don't hear that much...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

there is Upstate, Downstate and WNY(Western New York) -where we drink pop, not soda

grew up in Webster, NY(WNY)

Hi Dave!!

Up here in the Adirondacks, we take it a step further and consider ourselves North Country. Would love to see it split into three or four states to more adequately and fairly address each regions political and economic needs, instead of just living with what the city says is good for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Anything north of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Southerners...
    Pennsylvania is north of the Mason-Dixon, everything else is New England!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Newby View Post
    Up here in the Adirondacks, we take it a step further and consider ourselves North Country. Would love to see it split into three or four states to more adequately and fairly address each regions political and economic needs, instead of just living with what the city says is good for the rest of us.
    And likely has little clue about what IS actually good for you - and do they really give a rat's behind? I've heard Californians with a similar wish; two states, northern & southern.

Upstate New York: (def.) - The part of the state that pays the bills of NYC.

(Part of the reason why I defected to PA.)
    I am never wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Southerners...
    Pennsylvania is north of the Mason-Dixon, everything else is New England!
    Yeah, we're still not sure about you Pennsylvania people We think y'all are okay, but we're watching closely
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Now we all know what's wrong with the nice people on SMC. They are from NY, boy, am I glad they're spread out all over the country! They don't seem to know where they live or lived. I am in the upstate of SC north of Columbia, where we draw the line. That's a fact jack!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Yeah, we're still not sure about you Pennsylvania people We think y'all are okay, but we're watching closely
    Yeah, well...don't watch too closely. You might recall what happened to the last bunch of Virginians that gave us a hard time.
    I am never wrong.

From a Western NY (a little ways south of Rochester) perspective, Western NY is anything west of Syracuse.

North Country NY is anything North of a line between Syracuse and the Vermont border (basically, the Adirondacks).

Upstate NY is anything between that line and NYC (basically, the Catskills).

NYC is a mystical island city that gives us a lot of headaches, and given its population density, should be a state of it's own...

I once met a man in NYC (while someone was touring us past the Empire State Building ), who told me he'd never been outside the city. When asked why, he said that he was scared to. I told him I would be scared to live in NYC. He looked confused and said, "but there's bears out there aren't there?"

Greg, is there "pop" in the southeast? I'm afraid that the drinking of soda may become a statewide problem here...

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by William Huver; 10-31-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Huver View Post
    <snip>
    I once met a man in NYC (while someone was touring us past the Empire State Building ), who told me he'd never been outside the city. When asked why, he said that he was scared to. I told him I would be scared to live in NYC. He looked confused and said, "but there's bears out there aren't there?"

Did you tell him there's predators a lot more dangerous and less predictable than bears? And there's lots of 'em in NYC?

Greg, is there "pop" in the southeast? I'm afraid that the drinking of soda may become a statewide problem here...

Regards,
    Bill
    Interesting about the term 'pop'. I didn't know it was used this far east. I grew up in the upper midwest and pop was the only term used. I sorta thought it was limited to the Upper Midwest & I think Northwest.

Take that family for a ride to upstate NY, stand them on the edge of the Grand Canyon,take them on a Caribbean Cruise take them basically anywhere 200 miles from NYC and see if they ever thinks it worth paying to get back in

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hinds View Post
    I agree w/ Harold. It's anywhere that isn't NYC. For people in NYC, there is NYC and everywhere else. They admit to a VERY loose affiliation with the rest of the state (all of which is upstate except the city) and even less with the rest of the world.

A family was driving back from a weekend at a wedding in New Jersey and the daughter asked her Dad, when they stopped to pay the toll on the GW Bridge, why they had to pay money to get from New Jersey back into the city and he just said "Because it's worth it!"
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Here in Michigan, anything north of Bay City is up nort.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Curt, I'm not sure that I told the guy my thoughts about having more faith in bears roaming the woods than in other predators roaming the city, other than saying I'd be scared to live there. It took a minute for us to recover from shock, and some chuckling. Most of us in the handful of guys I was with spent our teenage years working on the farm, and at the time we were not long out of our teens. It was a good wake-up call to the differences in perception between urban and rural life!

It is funny how often the debate of "pop" vs. "soda" comes up. In my neck of the woods, we drink pop. The use of the word soda will quiet a room as quick as the start of a western saloon gun fight.

Regards,
    Bill

There are several distinct areas of NYS. The Western part of NY is Western New York , or WNY . It is composed of 8 Counties. ERIE, NIAGARA, CHATAUQUA ,CATTARAUGUS, ALLEGHANY, WYOMING, GENESEE, ORLEANS Counties. Then there is Central New York. That region is the Counties just to the East of WNY and they include all of the Finger Lakes Region. Up to I believe Syracuse. To the North, is the Adirondacks Region. More commonly known as Northern New York. Eastern NY would include the Albany area. The Catskill region would be South East NY . Downstate NY is the NYC area , including the Long Island area.