Thread: Jointer Electrical Issues

Jointer Electrical Issues

I recently got a Delta 37-207 jointer (1940's, I believe). When I turned it on, it worked for minute or so (although the cutterhead seemed to be spinning a little slow, but it's hard to tell since I never used it before). After a few passes with a test board, it just stopped working. When I flipped the switch on, nothing would happen and the motor was not making any noise. I assume the issue is related to the wiring, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything electrical, so I was hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Since it is an old jointer, the bearings could be dry. Does the motor and cutter head spin freely when the belt is disconnected? Check the centrifugal switch. It may be stuck or clogged up with sawdust and dirt. It could also be the power switch. They also get clogged with dust. If those check out, it could be the start capacitor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The problem is either a motor or a switch problem. The fact that those components are on a jointer is beside the point.

On a machine of that vintage, the motor and switch can be anything from factory original to someone's depression-era mentality retrofit (appliance motor and household light switch). Back in the day, many machines were purchased without motor and switch.

wire around the switch and insert the plug. If the motor runs, then replace the switch. If the motor doesn't run, then take the motor to electric motor shop (assuming the plug and wire are good).

There are many variations of motors and wiring schemes, so one offered solution may or may not fit your components. Pictures would help.

Thanks for the replies. As I went to look for the potential issues you guys mentioned, I took off the guard plate housing the pulleys and noticed that the lower pulley (the one attached to the shaft coming out of the motor), had come out away from the motor by almost an inch from where it was supposed to be, which was pulling the belt so tight that the motor no longer could turn it. On the floor next to the pulley I found a small metal wedge. It looks like the wedge had been shoved into a groove in the shaft in order to hold the pulley on. Needless to say, it didn't work. When I put the wedge back in and turned the motor on, the force of the motor drove the pulley back out of place. It looks like I'm going to have to find some other way to secure the pulley in place.

David,

Usually pulleys are held on by set screws and the wedge/key you speak of is just to mechanically keep the pulley in alignment with the shaft. Often the set screw will tighten down the woodruff key.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    David,

Usually pulleys are held on by set screws and the wedge/key you speak of is just to mechanically keep the pulley in alignment with the shaft. Often the set screw will tighten down the woodruff key.
    It also sounds like there may be some misalignment between the motor and the cutter head shafts. Aligned shafts with a loose pulley should not cause the pulley to try to run off the shaft.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute