Thread: Need Help, Removing Old Japanning

Need Help, Removing Old Japanning

I have a few planes to restore. One of the main problems is removing the old Japanning so I can restore the bed of the plane.

What ways to remove the old Japanning have worked well and relatively pain free for you?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

The one time I did it, I think I just used wire brushes, small scrapers and picks - maybe some sandpaper or scotch brite.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I cheated I used the bead blaster at work.

Get the can of paint stripper at one of the borgs that just says "STRIPPER" on it, let it soak on the bed for (whatever the can says) and then wipe it off with paper towels and rinse. The japanning just comes off completely.

Wear gloves when you do it, the stripper will burn your skin. A can will do several planes, and it's not expensive.

Thanks for the comments guys, and I am hoping for more ideas as well. There has to be lots of ways that work well, but I don't have much experience with any of them a cleaning off the Japanning, so can use all the help I can get.

That said:

Bill, we have bead blasters as work. How easily and well does it take the Japanning off, and does it cause the metal to be frosted?

David, the term "borgs" has shown up several times on the forum, but I have never seen or heard of the term other than here. Perhaps it is because I am in the panhandle of Texas, and it is not a common term here. At any rate, what kind of place is a "borg?" We have lumber yards, hardware stores, auto parts stores, and places like Walmart.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-30-2014 at 9:07 PM.

Borg typically means Home Depot or Lowes.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Borg typically means Home Depot or Lowes.
    Yeah this. But it might show up at lumber yards or wal mart.

looks like this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Str...SR72/100135467

No environmentally friendly stuff, get the real deal for this case. You'll be shocked at how the japanning just rinses off.

A bead blaster does a fine job without the harsh messy chemicals. It leaves a clean surface that's ready for refinishing.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Stew:
    I have successfully used a bead blaster. The one I have access to uses a really round sand.
    Something with a sharper aggregate would give a real frosted surface.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    At any rate, what kind of place is a "borg?" We have lumber yards, hardware stores, auto parts stores, and places like Walmart.
    BORG is an acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant - originally applied to Home Depot

I used lacquer thinner on the one plane I stripped. It worked well, but the plane did not have a lot of heavy japanning. It was a #7 Union by Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Miller View Post
    A bead blaster does a fine job without the harsh messy chemicals. It leaves a clean surface that's ready for refinishing.
    I wonder how many people have a bead blaster or have to spend more than 10 minutes getting to one. The only "mess" from the stripper is some paper towels filled with japanning thrown in the shop garbage.

Ditto to paint stripper. Use an environment-friendly version.

Regards from Perth

Derek