Thread: Davis and Wells tablesaw

Davis and Wells tablesaw

Got my Davis and Wells tablesaw back together,Ive been using it for two weeks with a new Forrest blade bored out to .75. Thought i would share the before and after.I took a chance buying this saw thats over 50 years old.The person i bought it from was not a wood worker and had been running the the saw backwards with it think was a mitersaw blade.i am sure it was not a pleasant experience. I bought the saw for 225.00 and put about 500 to get it tuned up.I still may change the arbor it was scored from the blade coming loose on the previous owner.For now its cuts as good as any saw i have ever run plenty of power and smooth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 10-30-2014 at 9:24 PM.

Looks great. Is the outfeed table from a D&W also?

I have seen a couple on local CL recently. Have to ignore deals if I hope to have full recovery on my tool junkie status.

Rick P

Thanks Rick,the outfeed table is the top that came with the saw,I was able to get a new one from Dan,the original was damaged.
    Ive been watching the davis and wells jointer in seal beach come down in price,I am mostly a looker and luster.

Looks great. I like how you rotated it 90 degrees too. I bet that makes a HUGE difference.

are these saws table mounted trunnions or cabinet?
    jack
    English machines

Table mounted trunnnion, check out the scroll and rack gear that moves the blade up and down,it does the same thing as other saw but I think it's cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Table mounted trunnnion, check out the scroll and rack gear that moves the blade up and down,it does the same thing as other saw but I think it's cool.
    very nice thanks
    jack
    English machines

I dunno, looks a little sketchy to me.

Your soo right Rick the whole tablesaw idea is Sketchy at best, I'm just happy to have the blade back vertical and spinning forward.I still can't believe I shoook the hand of someone that ran the blade backwards for 6 or 7 years and still had all their fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Your soo right Rick the whole tablesaw idea is Sketchy at best, I'm just happy to have the blade back vertical and spinning forward.I still can't believe I shoook the hand of someone that ran the blade backwards for 6 or 7 years and still had all their fingers.
    Oh i forgot to add the Model 1400 12 " Canadian Made Poitras is very much the same saw with a full case iron base. the spindle molder works the same rise and fall too. very solid design

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=8286
    jack
    English machines