Thread: Value of a Restored 50's Powermatic P50

Value of a Restored 50's Powermatic P50

How much would be reasonable for a completely restored 50's era P50? The one in question has been painted gold and meticulously restored. Everything on it is in excellent shape. However, I think the seller wants a little too much for it. I'd like to get an idea of what others would value this, before revealing the asking price.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I got $550 for restored Model 50 with a Byrd head back in 2011.

I was thinking around $500 would be fair. Maybe even $600.

$350-400. What do I win?

Keep in mind that a brand new Grizzly starts at $500 shipped, $425 if you are near a showroom. Old Iron is nice, but really a luxury for something like a jointer. The basic design hasn't really changed in the last 50+ years. Again I understand the lure of old American Iron, its why I purchased a beat up PM65 and Delta Long bed 6 inch jointer ($175 total for both!), but they are going to require allot of restoration and time. I probably wouldn't go more than $300.

Good point David. The seller is asking $900. I was going to offer $500, but I'm almost afraid I will offend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    The seller is asking $900. .
    WOW!!! You can get a new 8" Grizzly for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    Good point David. The seller is asking $900. I was going to offer $500, but I'm almost afraid I will offend him.
    You might be in a situation where it is a question of a good, solid, user versus a meticulously restored collector's piece.

It's not really a question of offending the owner. You can be polite, and explain that you have researched the market value, which is $XXX. You can also acknowledge that he did an exceptional job of restoring it, and he may well want to get more than the value of a good, solid user - but that is the market you are in.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I believe done in a courteous and straight-forward manner, you can make your offer. If he is the one who put in all the hard work and money to restore piece, he might be too attached and biased and therefore not realistic. He will either stick to his price or over time may find he needs to lower it or he might just keep it and polish it every weekend. Make your offer and see what happens. "[name], it is a beautiful piece and you did an amazing job restoring it but the best I can do is $xxx for it."
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

A 6" jointer is pretty limited. Personally I think that if the tables are flat I'd prefer it over new. The cast iron was Meehanite and if flat now will stay that way forever. Still, 500 to 600 is fair if a good rehab. New bearings that aren't crap, good NEMA starter, all internal parts cleaned and wire wheeled, and no droop to the tables requiring shimming of the wedges. Rehabbing machines seldom pays you for the time involved. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 10-31-2014 at 1:50 PM.

I'm with you. While I love old tools and even got some, and a new one would not be the same quality tool, I'd pass at that price. I'd not go 500 for 6" jointer.

I guess it really does depend on a few things, how attached are you to Powermatic tools, and what is your local market like. I say $300 is my lowest because my market (I consider a three hour drive reasonable) which includes Columbus, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Louisville that's a fair going price with the occasional steal. In no way is that jointer worth $900, in any market. A brand new Grizzly 8" starts around 850.00, and don't underestimate the value a good warranty. Also check ebay, I recently saw a PM60 8" jointer go for a little north of $300, and it looked to be in excellent shape. I would make my offer, and tell him to take it under advisement if he has trouble selling your offer will stand.

$900 is ridiculous, but the guy probably spent weeks lovingly restoring it and wants big $$$ to part with it.