Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: News says crude oil price dropped so..

News says crude oil price dropped so..

naturally, the price of gas is going up.

One station by me was charging $2.69 a gallon a few days ago before the so called price drop.
    Now everyone is $2.89/$2.99 a gallon.

Glad I filled up a few days ago!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Not sure what the spot market is doing, but it's probably responsible for local price increases. Be glad you don't live over the border. It's still $3.29 here other than at sams, and it hasn't gone below that. (western pa).

Just filled up at lunch, $2.54.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

In the United kingdom the current price of petrol is $8.03 per US. gallon

regards Brian

Ours has been going down for a couple weeks. It was 3.49 for quite a while, but as of this morning it's down to about 3.15. If I were to drive a little bit out of my way I could get it for 2.99, and I see on GasBuddy that a couple places are down to the 2.85 range.
    ~Garth

$2.87 by me. With Speedy Rewards and a prepaid gas card from Marc's gas at Speedway costs me $2.74.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    In the United kingdom the current price of petrol is $8.03 per US. gallon
    Yes, and what is the price when taxes are removed? I've read that some places in Europe have lower gasoline prices than the USA when taxes are removed on both sides.

For the past year or more crude prices and gasoline prices have not tracked each other as closely as in the past. Here in Minneapolis, the gas price jumped 30 cents a gallon a week or two ago. Refinery outages are being blamed for the high cost right now.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    $2.87 by me. With Speedy Rewards and a prepaid gas card from Marc's gas at Speedway costs me $2.74.
    Glad to see someone else use the Marcs cards. Keep telling my SIL to get them as she shops Marcs all the time and goes to Speedway but she won't and then complains about the price of gas

gas prices charged by retailers don't necessarily follow the price for a barrel of crude oil.

and - since you live up north ("up north" is any place that gets cold ) - retailers could be switching to a cold-weather blend of fuel, which could increase price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    naturally, the price of gas is going up.

One station by me was charging $2.69 a gallon a few days ago before the so called price drop.
    Now everyone is $2.89/$2.99 a gallon.

Glad I filled up a few days ago!
    where i live the price of gasoline seems to have no relation to the cost of crude oil. I have seen the price jump by 20 cents/liter overnight for no reason. I think they simply play with the price because the can. What real choice do motorist have to run their vehicles? Electric cars are still a long way from the mainstream. maybe we can just walk to our destination although I do not see doing this when its very cold in winter.

Yesterday, we saw regular under $3 for the first time in several years.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What real choice do motorist have to run their vehicles?
    Exactly. There is no viable alternative.
    They (who ever they are) got us over a barrel.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Fuel costs in the US are a small component of most consumption budgets.

I believe the reason most of us beef about gas prices, is that we're burning
    it to travel to jobs we don't much care for - so we can afford gas.

There's a real disconnection between most of us, and the things we consume.
    The handling chain, from extaction to refining happens somewhere out of sight.

It's not as if the stuff comes out of the ground, ready to fill up your "Canyonero".

This complaint isn't new, and is easily explained by the amount of time consumed in each step.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ke-refineries/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Yes, and what is the price when taxes are removed? I've read that some places in Europe have lower gasoline prices than the USA when taxes are removed on both sides.
    I think it could be effectively argued that our gas prices are artificially low. Factor in the tax payer subsidies for the oil industry and our rather large presence in the form of armed forces abroad. Without these, our gasoline prices would likely be much higher.

Bring our armed forces back stateside and cut the subsidies and see what happens to pump prices. Redirect those subsidies and expenditures to developing battery technology, which is the real bottleneck in weening off oil. A trillion + dollars (and counting) spent on battery technology would have been money much better spent.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.