Thread: Buying a Laser, ideas and shipping opinions

Buying a Laser, ideas and shipping opinions

I've purchased a used laser and need to ship it across the country. Luckily, the laser is in the original shipping crate. Unfortunately, the air filter is not. Does anyone know of a good crate and ship service that I can use? The seller doesn't have time to deal with it...

The UPS store just down the road from me does a considerable amount of that kind of work. Maybe there is one near your seller.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You have to make sure the seller does the right thing. That means taking the tube out and making sure the gantry and head are held in place. As for the air filter, do not crate it. Slap it on an oversized pallet. Strap it down and shrink wrap it. Any shipper you find on Google will be able to handle this job. They just need to have a pallet jack and a lift gate, which is pretty standard stuff.

Total cost for shipment and packing will probably be around $6-700.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Try ABF freight for shipping, excellent company.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

I agree on securing the gantry and head, not so much about removing the tube. The tube should be well protected from damage in the machine so long as it cannot slide in it's mount. To prevent sliding I would have them tape a ziplock bag over the output end (to keep the window clean) then fill the compartment with wadded up paper or something similar.

Removing the tube, especially by someone not familiar with lasers, is an opportunity for damage.

Maybe there is some other reason why removing the tube is so often recommended? I'd like to know.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I just hauled my rabbit from Ohio to Phoenix in the back of an open pick up not even in a crate just the machine strapped down in the back of the truck TUBE WAS LEFT IN no problems , so I would think leaving tube in would be OK.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm 99% sure I know what machine he bought as there was one that just ended on eBay with the same description. ULS suggests strongly that you remove the tube. I know because I spoke to them 4 days about it. The ULS power unit/tube comes out with a few screws.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Mine came with the tube installed from the factory in China.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! I bought a used laser and had it shipped UPS. I had it insured through UPS and it was packed well but when it arrived it looked like the box had rolled down the highway doing 60. UPS denied my claim and I was out the $7000.00 I paid for the used laser. Never ship anything UPS you can't afford to loose. They are self insured and in my opinion their "insurance" is worthless.
    sandcarving and sublimation.
    Trotec Speedy 300/80 watt!

I purchased a used like new Miller MIG welder from a private owner in a Western state. When the UPS truck came the driver kicked the box out the side door and proceeded to roll the box end over end until I yelled at him. He seemed surprised that I was upset. He refused to stick around until I opened the box. The welder was ok.

In your case, its time to get an attorney involved.

When something is shipped UPS here, they always insist on checking how it is packed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10