Thread: Pile o' Saws

Cool Pile o' Saws

So, what do you do when you see an ad on Craigslist for 50 saws, including Disstons..."Need them gone, make an offer"...?

You start driving and call on the way.

Bigpileosaws.jpg

The guy's Grandfather passed (I've been having good luck with Grandfathers on the other side) and they had to clear out his house. He was a collector (23 cigar boxes full of pocket watches, more than 1,000 clocks he said), and when they went down into a shed they found all these hanging.

There are about 50 saws and about half are Disstons (I started a little pile of them on the right), a couple of Atkins and a pile of WS. The Disstons are a mix of post WWII and between the wars, with a few earlier ones based on a quick inventory.

Now I have to explain to my Wife why. She had as many tools as I did when I met her (dream girl, right?) but this is going take a little finesse. They aren't actually in the house, so I haven't violated our Rule of Equilibrium (if you bring something into the house, something of equal displacement must be taken out of the house). I couldn't let these go to a decorator for TGI Fridays or a swap meet seller.

Once I've sorted and inventoried, no doubt I will have many saws to share in time for Christmas. I think everyone in my family will get one. Or three. Keep your eyes posted for a follow up post.

So, how much did it all cost? About a dollar a saw. They guy was just glad not to be tripping over them. Works for me!

To paraphrase Jaws: I think you're gonna need a bigger till!
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Keep the newbies in mind. These, when sharpened are excellent trade bait.

Since there are less than a hundred I can't give you the official you suck. Sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I think the rule of equilibrium needs to be the thing taken out, or perhaps broadened to include items you would have thrown out anyway... like the trash.

Good find!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    The darndest things happen to you guys over in the US

My luck has been pretty darn good lately. But you know you have to keep up your good tool karma, so a bunch of these will go freely to new homes with needy woodworkers and/or next generation neanders.

Oog!

I just went and checked. I only have 13 in my till and 24 waiting to be cleaned up and sharpened. Honestly, that doesn't seem like enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

OK, so here's the quick inventory: middle figures are year ranges, e.g. 17-40=1917 to 1940. I didnt measure TPI, I just recorded the stamp, if I could find one. I also didnt measure lengths...cause I was tired.

1. Pruning saw, 17-40, probably >'28
    2. Unknown model, 17-40, 8 TPI
    3. D-23, 53-55, 10 TPI
    4. Unknown model, a 7 or 8, 1878-1888, 7 TPI (I'm a keepin' this one)
    5. Unknown model, 40-47, 8 TPI
    6. D-9 Thumbhole, 40-47, 5 1/2 TPI
    7. Unknown model, 53-55, 8 TPI
    8. Unknown model, 96-17, ? TPI
    9. D-23, 40-47, ? TPI
    9. D-23, 40-47, ? TPI
    10. Unknown model, 53-55, 8 TPI
    11. Pruning saw, 40-47
    12. Unknown model, 96-17, 8 TPI
    13. D-7 (?), 40-47, 5 1/2 TPI
    14. D-8, 40-47, 5 1/2 TPI
    15. D-23, 40-47, 7 TPI
    16. D-7 or -8, 40-47, ? TPI

There are a few more 50's Disstons in the car and about 30 WS of various makers, and about 8 of those have those distinctive Disston handle.

So... what the hell do I do now? I'm guessing I will keep about half of the Disstons and resist to keep the other half for handles and parts. I just bought a 1890 Victorian fixer-upper, so I could use the cash, so I may sell a few for beer money.

But if you have a desperate need for a handsaw and are willing to pay packing and shipping, I will see what I can do for you. You know, to keep the good tool karma flowing.

Now I just need to teach my Son to joint, set and sharpen and I will a happy man.

That is a great score. Is electrolysis the best rust removal method for saw plates? You could sell a few of those and easily make your money back.

Wow, that is a great score you get there. I'm waiting for my first saw to come in the mail, hopefully tomorrow, a D-15 crosscut. Now I'm looking to get a rip, probably in a month or so, maybe a Christmas present to myself.

Allen - here's a link you might want to check out: http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/f...y/library.html

I've used electrolysis on motorcycle parts and was really happy with the results. I may try that on one of the WS saws that has an etch and see how that goes.

I havent sharpened saws before, but I have a saw or two that I can practice on now...so if i totally foul one up, I have 49 more to go... oh wait, I picked up seven a couple of weeks ago, so make that 56 more.