Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sigma 6k or ?

Blog Entries
    Yeah the Besters seem to be unique which is a little confusing. I haven't used the 1.2k bester but the 2k is amazing, fast and coarse but it's scratches are removed fast, a little soft, but still good enough. I also found the 1k bester to be meh.. is works, not bad at all, not great. I only sharpen my kitchen knives with the 1.2k sigma, because it's fine enough, but I have little idea what is nice for knives, I don't give it nearly as much care as tools.

Mostly I use the Sigma for back work because it really does stay flat, and cuts very strongly, but it loads and need to be lapped often to keep cutting strongly. the loading isn't a big deal for bevel work. you are right it has broken in since new, when new it was awful, now it's great, I enjoy using it very much, it just loads a little more than I like. but for tools I don't use anything that need soaking anymore.
    I plan on getting the new Naniwa 4k 'Haybusa', if I like it maybe the 8K Fuji also, they have gotten some pretty amazing reviews. and I like the 'ceramic' feel in stones more than I like the Chosera feel.
    I also HAVE TO try a 1k shapton.. if nothing more than to get it out of my system.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 11-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.