Thread: Oak burl

Oak burl

Hesitant to post this because I don't want to encourage anyone to turn things that might be dangerous.
    I probably should not have turned this piece but I like a challenge. It is about 10 inches diameter. The openings were full of bark when I started and some of it was still in place after turning. I did wear a face-shield and carefully stayed out of "line of fire".

Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW, I would say that there were quite a few missiles being fired from that turning. I also suspect you had some problems getting it to stay on your vacuum chuck.

Seriously, that is one of the best looking burl/void turnings I have seen. Any finish on it?

"The best things in life are not things."

Outstanding job. No risk no reward, you have been rewarded

well done Dennis...will we see this at a club meeting soon?

That should have been a "scary" Halloween post. Looks like it would have been scary turning and a real problem to sand. Another piece done well.

That's beyond stunning. The burl looks awesome. Way too cool.

Real nice work Dennis and certainly a challenge, but not as dangerous to turn as a blank with splits showing in it.

Love the swirling grain and the overall form, well done
    Have fun and take care

Wow! I get white knuckles just thinking about turning that, and I don't have a problem with a 'death grip' any more. Very high pucker factor, very impressive turning. As asked, what is the finish?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

You are a braver man than me.

Thanks for the compliments.
    Re: finish, it had only tung oil when I took the picture. I have since put on some Wipe On Poly but am not through with that. I do plan to keep the finish soft with minimal gloss.
    Re: danger, there were two issues.
    * The tenon was not a full circle, so I was concerned about it until the piece was balanced and rough shaped. I kept the speed low and was not as aggressive as I would have been otherwise. The wood that exists is strong, otherwise the tenon would have failed.
    * Once most of the inside had been removed, I became concerned about it staying together and slowed the lathe down again. My attitude at this time was; "it will come apart and I don't want to be in the way".

I agree with Leo that pieces with visible cracks are more dangerous because they are likely to come apart before the weight is reduced. A face-shield will not stop a heavy piece of wood.
    No sanding was done until the piece had been removed from the lathe.