Thread: Construction advice needed

Construction advice needed

My son is building a 37' Sailboat frames are done and mounted on the strong back and planking will start soon. Frames are Ash. The plans call for fiberglass over the planking on both sides when the planking is done. My concern is the moisture content of the planking, covering it with Fiberglas what effect does that have with the planking wood under the Fiberglas? MC of planking is about 10%
    Thank you for any input. My son looks to me for advice but I can't answer his question.
    Don

Hi Don,
    'Glass on both sides of a hull is fairly standard practice with planking such as WRCedar and other lighter timbers.What is the planking timber? I used 10oz glass on the outside only on my 34ft yacht with Douglas Fir strip planking and King Billy Pine diagonal veneers on top of the D Fir. The designer should provide specs for the glass layup as well as the MC of the timber. What design is the yacht?
    The Wooden Boat forum ( http://forum.woodenboat.com/) will give you a stack of advice on this issue.
    Greetings from Sydney, Australia
    Peter Widders

Thank You Very much Peter For the info.I talked with My son. And he is using the same wood
    You did WR Cedar and and fir with two layers .of Sapelie 3/8" each then the Fiberglass.
    The designer is Mark Smalders here in Washington State.
    Not sure if I can post photos on this site or I would.
    My dad built a 32' motor boat, Monk design when I was a kid and I am 72. We have 8mm movies of his construction.
    My son is also filming progress of his. Sailboat and Will incorporate the two into one.
    Thank You Very much Peter!!
    cheers
    Don

Hi Don,
    That is a really nice looking boat your son is building. He gets a mention on Mark Smaldeers' homepage. it is always nice to see a boat with a 'proper' sheerline! Too many straight lines out there these days. It would be good to see some pics of the build.
    Cheers
    Peter

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the late reply. I build wood boats, and if you are epoxy encapsulating the entire hull then there is no need for concern. Where I live 10% moisture is very dry. (Tropics) As long as the wood is not really wet there is no issue.

I will look up the design. Sounds like he is going to have a great lite boat.