Thread: Cutting masonite / hardboard

Cutting masonite / hardboard

I searched but didn't find much information on this. Is masonite (hardboard) safe to cut (or possible to cut / engrave) with a laser?
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Jay, someone might disagree with me, but I cut a lot of it for about 2 months a couple years ago. It was the nastiest stuff I have ever cut to date. It made my eyes and nose burn. We fought through the job by trying to get more air into and out of the office, and we had a deadline to meet, but I personally wouldn't cut it again. I don't know what's in it that was so nasty, but it was something.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

"Real" Masonite has only wood in it, no binders, glue, or other crap. Hardboard can have any number of additives in it.

The Hardboard I cut is labeled Fibrex and I have no issues with it. It cuts and engraves very well.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Blog Entries
    Good morning Jay! And Mr Scott!

Here is a link to the MSDS for it. That should give you some additional information.

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/docum...s-masonite.pdf

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.