Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharkbite Plumbing Fittings

Blog Entries
    Used them, love them. They are quite costly, but so much easier than sweating pipes and soldering. So far I only have 8 months on the ones I installed, but no leaks, no issues, an they are even easier than putting together PVC.

I haven't used them but was watching Ask This Old House last week and Tommy used them (I think) to splice some copper lines he had to cut in order to reinforce a beam.

I was sure impressed with how easy they were to use.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am going to have to cut the pipe at the compression bead and hope there is enough pipe left to let the Sharkbite work.
    If you're patient, you can cut that compression ring off the pipe so you don't lose any exposed length. Take a hacksaw blade and cut it down and tape yourself a handle (or use gloves) and gently go at it. Just be sure to check your progress often so you minimize cutting into the copper pipe. Sometimes heating up the pipe with a torch can help slip that ring off but I've only gotten this to work a few times.

Sharkbite has a large orange "depth and deburr" tool you can buy. From that, you can determine how much pipe you need in order to get a good fit.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I was sure impressed with how easy they were to use.
    Their ease of use and the fact that you can spin them around after insertion always gives me pause. I had to put a temporary shut-off ball valve on a 3/4" copper line I was working on and I could just spin the sucker around willy-nilly but I'll be darned if it just would not leak!!!

I used them on copper in a situation where I had to replace an outside faucet and the joint was inaccessible with a torch without a lot of disassembly of the building (would have been relatively easy during rough-in). It's been 10 years and no problem yet. At the same time, I also wouldn't bury them in a wall because I don't trust them, and wouldn't use them anywhere I could reach with a torch because of the incredible expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    If you're patient, you can cut that compression ring off the pipe so you don't lose any exposed length. Take a hacksaw blade and cut it down and tape yourself a handle (or use gloves) and gently go at it. Just be sure to check your progress often so you minimize cutting into the copper pipe.
    I take it you have done this successfully Chris? Did you have to make multiple cuts through the compression ring? I thought the compression ring was really fused into the copper.

If I could do this it would be great since I could us new valves with compression rings and also replace the chrome trim ring after the new vanity is installed. This would be the idea result.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

You can buy a ferrule remover

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You can buy a ferrule remover
    I just found those. Goin to HD tomorrow morning to get one.
    George

Compression ring puller or remover!!! Well I'll be darned. NEXT TIME. And, yes, George, I've successfully cut off compression rings but it goes a bit slow and if you don't have much room to move around, it can be painful. I'm picking up this tool NEXT TIME!!

Bought one at Home Depot and it did not work. Compression bead would not budge. Returning the tool tomorrow.

Save your money.
    George

Googling it, I found several versions, George. Maybe another style might work.