Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone burn up their grinder with CBN wheels?

Anyone burn up their grinder with CBN wheels?

I have one of the Delta variable speed grinders (GR-450) that's been lightly used for maybe 3 years or so and it's only used to sharpen lathe tools. Recently swapped out the AO wheels for 2 CBN. Today I swapped out the Wolverine platform with one of Robo Hippy's adjustable rests. Sharpened 5 or 6 different scrapper and life was good. Switched over to the 180 grit side to do a bowl gouge and the grinder light flickered a couple times and then went out completely and the grinder won't even turn on now. Circuit is good, no smoke, no puff just all of the sudden died. I know the CBN wheels are a lot heavier but this unit hasn't seen that much use. Don't see any type of reset button. Dread having to deal with Delta CS but anyone else have any motor issues after installing CBN wheels?

I only have one 180 CBN wheels on my Woodcraft slow speed and it hasn't had any effect on it so far. I have noticed that it taxes the grinder for a second while getting it up to speed from off, but I don't know if that is "hurting" the grinder or not. Sometimes, just because, I spin the CBN wheel ...right before switching it on. I don't know, if that will prolong the life of the grinder or not... I just do it sometimes. I do know that many of my name brand tools just randomly give up and sometimes the Harbor Freight cheapo tools just wont quit...even though I would like to replace them!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

3. I don't think it is likely that the CBN wheels had anything to do with your grinder failing! If anything they make the grinder run easier and more balanced than regular matrix wheels like AO and others. I have basically the same grinder as you mention only mine has a Steel City label on it, but that is a generic grinder sold by Delta, SC, Porter Cable and others as well.

Mine has run just fine for over two years with my CBN wheel and has done good. Try blowing out the switch and speed potentiometer with compressed air. Could be just the motor gave out on yours. It could be the starter selenoid has gone bad but the motor is still good........that is a likely scenario!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nope, no issues. I have had an 80-grit CBN on my grinder for a couple of years now and picked up the 180 and switched to both sides CBN a few months ago. Never had a problem. My grinder is an inexpensive Porter-Cable variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I don't think it is likely that the CBN wheels had anything to do with your grinder failing! If anything they make the grinder run easier and more balanced than regular matrix wheels like AO and others. I have basically the same grinder as you mention only mine has a Steel City label on it, but that is a generic grinder sold by Delta, SC, Porter Cable and others as well. Mine has run just fine for over two years with my CBN wheel and has done good. Try blowing out the switch and speed potentiometer with compressed air. Could be just the motor gave out on yours. It could be the starter selenoid has gone bad but the motor is still good........that is a likely scenario!
    No luck with air blast treatment. Took the switch apart and cleaned a little bit of gunk out but the contact was clean. Start capacitor is no longer available (even if that is the problem) and the circuit board replacement is as much as a new grinder. So.....looks like a bone yard donation and I'll have to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I only have one 180 CBN wheels on my Woodcraft slow speed and it hasn't had any effect on it so far. I have noticed that it taxes the grinder for a second while getting it up to speed from off, but I don't know if that is "hurting" the grinder or not. Sometimes, just because, I spin the CBN wheel ...right before switching it on. I don't know, if that will prolong the life of the grinder or not... I just do it sometimes. I do know that many of my name brand tools just randomly give up and sometimes the Harbor Freight cheapo tools just wont quit...even though I would like to replace them!
    I hear you about the Harbor Freight tools, I've got a few of them. Was looking at their 8" grinder the other day just to have something for mild steel grinding because I don't think you want anything like that hitting the CBN wheels. My Delta is toast so it's either the newer version of the Delta for 129 with free shipping or the woodcraft Rikon for 99 + shipping.

I haven't heard of this happening. The only thing that I can think of that would cause it would be if you are really pushing hard into the wheel so that the grinder is stalling, and you are doing this a lot. I would think that it was some thing in the grinder, but I am not an electrical engineer.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I haven't heard of this happening. The only thing that I can think of that would cause it would be if you are really pushing hard into the wheel so that the grinder is stalling, and you are doing this a lot. I would think that it was some thing in the grinder, but I am not an electrical engineer.robo hippy
    All I know is it was working just fine until I installed the Robo Rest!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of funky Martian magnetron metal you using in those things!!!!!!! All in jest...........your item worked fine. I wanted it to use for 40/40 Batty grind on the same side as I use for scrapers.

Failure upon installing the Robo Rest may simply be a coincidence. Check your power cord and other electrical connections. This could be something as simple as a bad cord or loose connection.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John,I know it was a coincidence. Just pullin Reed's chain a bit. I've disassembled and inspected all the electrical connections and everything is secure. Maybe some new eyes may help today.Dave

2 years with both wheels on my Delta variable speed grinder with no problems yet.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

It could be coincidence...or...it could be that the higher mass of the wheel left the starting circuit/cap engaged much longer and repeatedly that caused it to burn out much sooner (the second option is not very likely but possible).
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 11-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.

If the motor doesn’t smell burnt, it probably isn’t, and there is something wrong with the speed controller.

If that was my grinder, I would go past the controller and find the leads to the motor, hook that up to the power directly and just give it a quick try, if it doesn’t start up or hum, I’d say its toast, if it does spin or hum the problem is before the motor leads.

Variable speeds might be nice for a lathe, not much use for on a grinder though IMO, I would get a low speed grinder without the funky electronics on it.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    If the motor doesn’t smell burnt, it probably isn’t, and there is something wrong with the speed controller.If that was my grinder, I would go past the controller and find the leads to the motor, hook that up to the power directly and just give it a quick try, if it doesn’t start up or hum, I’d say its toast, if it does spin or hum the problem is before the motor leads.Variable speeds might be nice for a lathe, not much use for on a grinder though IMO, I would get a low speed grinder without the funky electronics on it.
    Leo,That was some of my thought also. Had everything apart and started with the lamp assembly because the wire that's inside that lamp hood was discolored and looked burnt. Wired that up to a new cord but couldn't get a light. The lamp wires were interconnected with the speed control and on/off switch so I was guessing that maybe the lamp shorted out something, either the switch or maybe the capacitor. Got the multi tester out and started poking around. Forgot to unplug the motor and didn't see exactly what I was touching and got a good spark and a poof. Said a few bad words to myself, boxed it up and banished it from my sight never to be seen or heard from again.

I started off with a gently used Delta 6" variable speed grinder. It died like yours. Nothing to do with CBN wheels. As you discovered, not cost effective to replace the circuit board. I got the 8" low speed WC and it was a better solution. I have had a CBN wheel for a year and added a second a few months ago with no problems.
    God is great and life is good!