Thread: RIP Tom Magliozzi

Blog Entries

RIP Tom Magliozzi

If you have ever listened to Car Talk you will be saddened to know brother Tom has passed away.

http://www.wbur.org/about/blog/2014/...-tom-magliozzi
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I heard about that a few hours ago and was sad to hear it. I basically grew up with my Dad listening to Car Talk, and over the past few years have been listening in the shop like my Dad did/does. I really enjoy the show.

I've been a listener since the show started in my market. In fact, the other day, this caused some confusion for me. I believe NPR took the show national after 1986. But I'd swear my father and I listened to the show in Milwaukee before then, maybe as early as 1984 or 1985.

In any event, I loved the show and still find myself tuning into the reruns.

Very sad news.

I wasn't aware he had Alzheimer's.

RIP Tom. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I wasn't aware he had Alzheimer's.

RIP Tom. You will be missed.
    +1. He was a good guy.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have spent many hours listening to there show and who knows how many more hours trying to solve those dam puzzles they give you on each show. I wasn't very good at solving them but I did get one or 2 the easy ones He will be missed.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I was very sad reading about Tom's death yesterday. He and his brother really had a wonderful way of being informative while also being extremely entertaining.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very sad indeed. I did appreciate brother Ray's quip after stating solemnly that Tom had passed from complications of Alzheimers that "he really wasn't kidding that he didn't remember last week's puzzler". He went on to say what a ball Tom had enjoyed "laughing his ass off" all those years. All told a fitting obit.

Sad to hear. Brought a lot of joy in listening to them.
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Sad to hear that he passed on. I used to listen to the show in Saudi Arabia on Armed Forces Radio, he brought humor and a touch of home to us all.