Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When was the Golden Age of fast food?

Golden Age?

Postulating that there is or was a Golden Age of fast food is kind of like asking which trip to the dentist is most enjoyable. Fast food is by nature devoid or mostly devoid of flavor, freshness, and health. If I did have to pick a time period though it would be before the advent of the mega chain places. Local ownership in the 50s, 60s, and even into the 70s meant a higher level of quality and a greater variety of choices.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Taco Bell sells food, I thought it was the Mexican phone company....

I do remember when McDonalds was really good but I think that was in the 60s.
    Now I think most all of it is junk, Whataburger and Wendys to me are the 2 that are the best.

I liked Burger king and Arbys back in the early 70s. Arbys had real roast beef that was slow roasted back then My BIL was a manager of one and he would have to get there about 4 hours before they opened to get the Roast beef in the oven. The only thing I hated about them was you it seemed like you always got a small chunk of grissle in your sandwich

Blog Entries
    The only thing I hated about them was you it seemed like you always got a small chunk of grissle in your sandwich
    That is called portioning control. Everyone gets the same sandwich every time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I remember getting the Texas Burger at Dog n' Suds when I was a kid. Of course I had to get a root beer float too. That may have been the golden age for me - tray hanging off the window.

Don't forget A&W, after eating you you get a quart or gallon jug of root beer to go, those were the days.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Don't forget A&W, after eating you you get a quart or gallon jug of root beer to go, those were the days.
    +1 on A&W!

When I was a teenager in the 70's Burger King didn't have stacks of cooked burgers in a warming tray like they do today. They were made to order in a giant flame broiler machine. They were also much bigger than todays micro-burgers.

I'm putting in my vote for Arthur's Creatures -er, I mean Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips. With the fat fries and hot Vernors ginger ale. Whatever happened to them?

And an honorable mention goes Yaya's chicken. Another one that vanished and I miss.

-Tom

After watching American Graffiti I would have to say the Golden Age was in the late 50's and early 60's. People then were not worried whether the food was of good quality, only that it was cheap in price. Also obesity was much less prevalent so much less negative press about the consequences of a fast food diet.
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 11-04-2014 at 5:02 PM.

Who remembers Burger Chef?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Who remembers Burger Chef?
    We liked going there along with The Red Barn

I have no idea about the question, but the first house I ever built was bought by a couple who owned six McDonalds in a major city. They had put everything they had into a franchise when McD was just getting started. They said all their friends, and people they didn't know, told them they were crazy for putting anything in a business that sold burgers for 15 cents. They wrote me a check for the lake house.

Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean by golden age. I'd agree that McDonald's fries were better before they got healthy. But the menu used to be very limited, and no breakfast. With a few exceptions, I say fast food is better now than it used to be, largely due to a widely expanded menu with some pretty good offerings. Wendy's chili and their salads come to mind as does Arby's market fresh sandwiches, particularly their BLT. But I have to admit that my most frequent buy is a plain McDonald's burger, no pickles with a cup of water, and I am out less than a buck. Not a great lunch, but cheap and it gets me by until dinner as I am often on a mission and their stores are on my common routes. And they are fast on the drive thru compared to most other chain drive thru's. McDonald's, you love to hate them.
    NOW you tell me...

I also like MR Hero when they had about 50 different sandwiches and Rigatoni by the bucket.