Thread: Anyone Else Notice the Exchange Rates?

Blog Entries

Anyone Else Notice the Exchange Rates?

It is kind of funny how so many things are connected.

The price of oil has been dropping. This has an effect on the value of the dollar in relation to other currencies. In particular the Yen. The Bank of Japan is trying to lower the value of the Yen on the world market.

What this means is the cost of tools from Japan should be dropping in US$.

So, is anyone working on their wish lists?

If it gets crazy enough I might buy some more water stones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I spent some money on japanese stuff last week. As a paypal user, I'd urge anyone buying stuff in japan to buy from sites that allow you to purchase in the home currency (as in, buy in japanese yen). If you're using paypal, buy in yen and let it do the conversion later. If you let paypal's app do the conversion ahead of time, it will take an extra bite of several additional percent - highway robbery.

Based on the wholesale currency rates, a purchase in yen with paypal should give about 110 yen to the dollar, which is excellent.

If I were buying from tomohito iida or anyone else who sells in dollars, the prices on those sites are set when the exchange wasn't nearly as favorable. I'd be inclined to ask if he'd take less for right now.

Blog Entries
    A couble mortise chisel and the new Naniwa ceramic 4k are waiting for me to sell somthing to pay for them. thanks for the Yen tip, David!