Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would A Rikon Model 70-100 Be A Good First Lathe?

Would A Rikon Model 70-100 Be A Good First Lathe?

About two years ago I was seriously considering getting into woodturning so I started a thread on this site asking for suggestions and information about purchasing a first lathe. I had stated my total budget was about $1500 and I thought a 12" variable speed midi lathe might be a good starting point.

Well, fast forwarding to today, I haven't yet made the plunge but am still very interested in giving turning a try and think I am going to do it before the end of this year.

However, now I'm thinking of reducing my total initial investment (lathe, tools, sharpening setup, etc) to about $1000 due to other commitments as well as fear that I might not like it. I am still thinking a 12" bench lathe makes the most sense but am questioning whether variable speed, while obviously nice, and which raises the price considerably, is really necessary.

One particular lathe I'm considering that has very attractive pricing and seems to be rated very well is the Rikon 70-100 which Highland Woodworking presently has on sale for $299. Model 70-100 has 6 speed ranges with a low speed of 430 rpm which is about the lowest non-variable speed lathe I have found. And from some things I've read, and been told, 430 rpm should provide reasonable control over roughing pieces to 10" or so. (Btw, Model 70-100 speed ranges are 430, 810, 1230, 1810, 2670, 3900)

So once again, I'm asking for some input on whether a Rikon 70-100 would be a good first lathe or would it contribute to my concern of not embracing woodturning and letting it collect dust in a corner?

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thank you

Dom

why not find a local AAW (American Association of Woodturners) affiliated club and call them up? Ask if they have a mentor (they should) or any upcoming demos where you could go and try turning BEFORE you invest anything.

If you're starting out thinking you might not like it - that's the best suggestion I can offer.

+1 Agree with Shawn. Plus if you join the club they may have a loaner lath you can try out.

I have one of them in my shop in New Mexico, this is a small 8x12 shed that I only use when we are there. For chisels I bought a set of Harbor Freight HSS chisels, I use a second hand Work Sharp 2000 for sharpening and I bought a Barracuda chuck from PSI. I free hand sharpen the chisels, so no investment in a sharpening jig. This started as a basic no frills shop with all the goodies left at home. I made a lot of chips turning out small bowls, weed pots, beads, light pulls and game calls. My first total investment was a lot less than $1000, the lathe was on sale, for around $300, the chisels $50, the chuck $100, the Work Sharp $20. Now, I have the same lathe, 2 more chucks, better chisels and the same Work Sharp, and well over the $1000 invested. Along with a used 10" bandsaw, used compound miter saw, used drill press, a Taig mini metal lathe and my list of "wants" never stops.

The lathe has performed without a hitch, so has the rest of the tooling. I would do it all over again if I had to.

I've recently had the opportunity to turn on the new Jet 1221, and I've turned on the Rikon 12 a lot. I really have nothing bad to say about the Rikon, it's probably the best deal out there considering the 300 buck price tag. It is certainly well worth the price paid. That said, IF you can spring for the Jet 1221, and yes, I know it's over 2 times as much, I think you won't be unhappy about that. I think the new 1221 is a lathe you can live with for a long time. The above mentioned HF starter chisels, Work Sharp and free hand sharpening, you'd be be close to your budget limit, including a "good" 3/8" bowl gouge, which is the only thing missing from the HF set. Oh, the chuck would put you over the limit. BUT the vortex is just beginning, you'll be spending money on tools from now on. Buy as much lathe as you can afford to start. Just my $0.02.

As mentioned, if you can find a Woodturning club, I'm sure people will be more than happy to let you take their lathe for a spin.

Good luck in your choice.

If you are looking at a slight upgrade to electronic WC has the new Rikon 70-220 on sale for $550.
    I think the swing is the same as the Jet but may be 1" less between centers (20").
    It does have a 1" tool post rather than the standard 5/8".
    Most other specs are very similar other than the amps. The Jet is 6 amp and the Rikon 8 amp. Unless things have changed 1 HP equals 746 watts which is unachievable (continuous) with 6 amp on 120V.

On the other hand, I have the Nova 1624 and it is not a problem changing speed by belt. I never change it with spindles and usually only once with bowls or platters. From what I know of them, I think your original Rikon may be a good choice it you don't mind moving the belt.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 11-04-2014 at 9:18 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I had a rikon 70-100 from 2006, until just recently. I took advantage of Woodcraft's $300 trade in towards a Jet 1642.
    I was very happy with the Rikon. I had to change the drive belt once, but that was the only problembowl%204 (640x482).jpg
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

I had to look at the pictures online, but I'm pretty sure Woodcraft (San Carlos, CA) uses the 70-100 in their turning classes. It was quite usable, at least for the spindle turning we did in class. I think they had bed extensions though. Even with an extension the "stackup" of chuck, tailstock, drill chuck, and drill bit really limited the length of handles we could center drill. (But there are alternatives to drilling on the lathe.) Moving the belt wasn't too bad, though I'd be looking for a variable speed model if I was shopping. Have you looked at the new variable speed model Woodcraft has on sale (until 11/26)? I haven't used it, or seen it in the flesh, but it adds variable speed, 4" (25%) more bed length, and moves the controls to the tail stock end of the bed. I'd prefer all of those features, but it's almost twice as much.

As I think about which lathe makes the most sense for me, I'm also trying to identify the must have ancillary items like tools, sharpening items, chucks, etc.

I currently have a Makita 9820-2 horizontal wet blade sharpener with a 1000 grit wheel that turns at 560 rpm. Is this sharpener one that I could effectively use to sharpen lathe tools instead of having to buy a traditional 8" low speed grinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    As I think about which lathe makes the most sense for me, I'm also trying to identify the must have ancillary items like tools, sharpening items, chucks, etc.

I currently have a Makita 9820-2 horizontal wet blade sharpener with a 1000 grit wheel that turns at 560 rpm. Is this sharpener one that I could effectively use to sharpen lathe tools instead of having to buy a traditional 8" low speed grinder?
    I'm sure you could, but I finally gave in and got the One-Way Wolverine system* because most of the sharpening tutorials and my local instructors base all their sharpening help on it. (* And the sale Rikon slow-speed grinder.) (BTW- I'm philosophically aligned with the freehand sharpening is cheaper and gives better results camp, but my coordination doesn't seem to be up to getting anything useably sharp anytime soon.)

Just something else to consider as we help you spend your money.

BTW- what do you plan to turn? I've, so far, only done basic utilitarian spindle turning. Bowls might have significantly different tradeoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'm sure you could, but I finally gave in and got the One-Way Wolverine system* because most of the sharpening tutorials and my local instructors base all their sharpening help on it. (* And the sale Rikon slow-speed grinder.) (BTW- I'm philosophically aligned with the freehand sharpening is cheaper and gives better results camp, but my coordination doesn't seem to be up to getting anything useably sharp anytime soon.)

Just something else to consider as we help you spend your money.

BTW- what do you plan to turn? I've, so far, only done basic utilitarian spindle turning. Bowls might have significantly different tradeoffs.
    That is the good part of starting with cheap Harbor Freight HSS chisels, grinding a set of HF chisels down to nubs learning how to eyeball the grind freehand only costs $50, a lot less than going first class with Wolverine and a new grinder. If I was using $50 plus chisels, they I might have considered buying the jigs. In the long run, if you understand the basic design behind the jigs, they are all pretty easy to duplicate at little or no cost. I consider making my own tooling and jigs the best part of woodworking, each time I make one I think about what money I saved and what I should buy with that savings.

This is also the time of year to keep an eye on Woodcraft and others for Black Friday deals. I picked up a Rikon 70-050VS for about $229 a couple years ago on Black Friday. It is 12x16, only 1/2 hp - but includes variable speed and is surprisingly versatile. Even though I have a larger lathe (Grizzly 733) which I really like, I often turn on the Rikon - it is strong and stable enough for pepper mills, small bowls, etc. It is a great starter lathe - until you get the craving for something bigger than a 10 inch bowl (or start coming into some much larger chunks of wood!)

Tim

In a weak moment, I bit the bullet today and ordered a Jet JWL-1221VS. Now the journey begins and I can already feel the money being sucked out of my wallet. I think this lathe will serve me well for quite some time.

Thanks everyone for your comments. They were very helpful! More questions will follow.

14. excellent choice and should serve you well for a very long time

Good luck and be safe.

Happy Turnings,
    Marc