Thread: DW 705 brake not working

DW 705 brake not working

My old DW 705 has started free wheeling after I shut the switch off. I have not tried to find the problem at this point but may get to it in the next few days. I don't even know if this saw has a mechanical brake or electrical?? Any of you that have had one that did this please give me a clue where to start looking.

Thanks,

Dick

A failing blade brake on a miter saw usually means the motor brushes are toast.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have this saw and on occasion the brake does not work so I checked the brushes. They seem fine. I read somewhere that this is a sign of a dieing motor. I have seen that we can still get motor parts for this saw, including a new armature.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I'd start with the power switch!

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    I'd start with the power switch!
    Good answer, and correct answer! Back in the seventies (remember them) we started using B&D Saw Cats (7 1/4" circular saws) which had brakes like the 705. Kept spares on the truck, as they were a "fail item" more than we liked. Plus when you're 150 miles from closest service center, there is no way to take saw in. The 705 uses same basic motor as current top of the line DeWalt, which evolved form the Saw Cats, and Super Saw Cats.

Well, good call on the brushes. One of them, the wire and spring were no longer in place. Wire was pulled out and discolored from heat. Surprised it still worked at all. Will try to get a new set tomorrow when I get to town. Just put a new switch in it a few months ago so hope it is still o.k. My saw is over 25 years old and the original style switch is no longer available. Different switch will work but now you have to buy a new style handle to go to the new switch. Will let you know if the new brushes solve the problem.
    Thanks Guys

I just replaced the switch/handle on mine. When I called deWalt, they didn't have any. I called the local service center, and they had one in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
    Well, good call on the brushes. One of them, the wire and spring were no longer in place. Wire was pulled out and discolored from heat. Surprised it still worked at all. Will try to get a new set tomorrow when I get to town. Just put a new switch in it a few months ago so hope it is still o.k. My saw is over 25 years old and the original style switch is no longer available. Different switch will work but now you have to buy a new style handle to go to the new switch. Will let you know if the new brushes solve the problem.
    Thanks Guys
    Yeah, if the brush spring and wire are that bad, could keep the brake from working. A simple SPST on/off type switch will make the saw run(after replacing brushes), it won't allow the brake to work! The switch may still be good, though.

Put in new brushes, working as it should. Thanks guys

Dick

Good to hear!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore