Thread: Kind of odd desktop made from every long board I had on hand

Kind of odd desktop made from every long board I had on hand

I don’t post often, but what the heck. I wanted a 7’ desk and it had to be lower than normal to help with some wrist issues I have with the computer. I could not find anything meeting my requirements, so I had a local shop weld together a metal frame, then used a few boards I had laying around to make this kind of odd desk top from sapele, QS white oak, cherry and walnut. I have a long bed 6” General jointer, but it and my cramped shop were not up to jointing 7”+ boards (or more likely my technique was not up to it). I tried hand planes, but failed there too. Instead I edge jointed all of this with a router and a 8' piece of MDF that, lucky for me, was straight. It was a mess, but worked perfectly. Finish is BLO, shellac then Arm R Seal gloss.

IMG_3214.jpgIMG_3259.jpgIMG_3261.jpg2014-10-22 17.49.15.jpg
    Last edited by Dean Karavite; 11-05-2014 at 7:21 AM.

As I told you before, I wasn't too sure about the mixing of the species, but it's certainly a good use of what you had at hand. And the finish ended up selling me on it. The desk feels right at home with all that nerdy hi-tech equipment. I think it looks great!

Not something that would have occurred to me, but I like it. So some of us will remember the project as "mind expanding",especially with those vivid colors.

Ah yes, Augusto, in most cases it is a good idea to keep the species separate! :-)

Mel, that's very nice of you to say, but it was really more wallet contracting vs mind expanding project as I forced myself to work within a small budget and use whatever I had on hand. Plus, I actually got the idea from a local architectural salvage place. They were making table tops from reclaimed bowling alley wood, floor, joists... you name it and in many cases mixing it up.

Kind of odd= real cool to me.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Thanks Andrew!

That's a neat look--I like it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7