Thread: Dremel drill press OR HF 8" bench top.

Dremel drill press OR HF 8" bench top.

I have two full size drill press in the shop. I tend to do some very small projects and thought having a small press close to my bench would be handy.

I started looking at the Dremel work station. ( I already own a Dremel tool)
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...spx?pid=220-01

But for a little more money I could buy a Harbor Freight 8" press.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-be...eed-60238.html

Any thoughts on the above tools?
    For the money, may be worth it. Anything more expensive, I'll just use the full size press.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have the HF drill press, its actually a pretty good little unit for woodworking, not great for drilling metal due to the lack of lower speed.

I'm in the same position. The Dremel drill stands have a lot of plastic in them. With the Dremel you are limited to 1/8" bits and smaller. I just picked a used small Delta drill press off of CL. I think I will be happier with it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I'm in the same position. The Dremel drill stands have a lot of plastic in them. With the Dremel you are limited to 1/8" bits and smaller. I just picked a used small Delta drill press off of CL. I think I will be happier with it.

John
    I just bought a Proxxon MB200 drill press stand. No plastic and rock solid. A dremel rotary tool will not work with it, so I had to buy a Proxxon rotary tool as well. This tool is also very solid and much quieter than a dremel. Couldn't be happier!
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

That Dremel would be great in my shop ,when I do some scroll sawing I use small drill bits to drill tiny hole in the board for the blade to go through,or even for routing small project ,it looks like it is made for delicate type of work when you don't test the limits of the press.I'll bet any scroll sawyer would love to have that dremel press.

The Dremel is a toy, not a tool.

I have one and regret wasting my money on it.

Also, Dremel overall quality has sunk so low I question if they are even worth the money anymore or not.
    I usually try to figure out some other way of doing something rather than put myself through the aggravation of using one of my three Dremel tools.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

no question in my mind - putting a dremel in a press like gizmo is a waste of effort. You want a drill, get a real drill that was designed to drill holes in things with some degree of repeatability. and, drill holes larger than 1/8". I haven't looked at the HF drill press but, in general, a real drill press is the way to go.

By the way, I use my dremel for a number of things but nothing that could be even vaguely described as "precision". Like cutting off the tip of a too-long nail that a sloppy contractor left sticking out of the case work in my bathroom - slap some filler on the hole and touch up the paint.

If it were me, I'd look for a used unit off of CL before I considered the HF unit. Lots of people buy bench top DPs, don't use them much at all and then dump them on CL.
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 11-05-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo patrol...

I do not personally have the HF press but it is one of the HF tools that I have heard a few people say on the web that it is usable. Now remember that is a few people on the web . But there are some things at HF that are usable so I would research to see if there are more reports as what I have seen...

I had a HF 8" drill press for quite a while, and it's a pretty decent little press for the money. Mine ran quiet and true; I just got tired of the lack of capacity but if you already have a full-size drill press that's not a concern. Ended up selling mine for the same amount I bought it for when I got a bigger press.

Dremels have their uses, but a Dremel with a collet won't be as useful for a woodworker as a dedicated drill press with a Jacobs-style chuck.
    ~Garth

This looks like a nice little micro drill press. Variable speed to 8500 RPM.
    http://www.jewelrytools.com/eurotool...ill-Press.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney