Thread: Ova rimmed White Ash bowl

Smile Ova rimmed White Ash bowl

Returned this White Ash bowl, it’s about 11” wide and 5” tall, fairly thin wall bowl, undercut the inside some and turned the top edge of the rim lower to show off the round bowl and it setoff the oval that the bowl had dried into.

I had made the first 3 pictures and then realized that the oval rim didn’t show because of the angle they where taken at, so made a 4th picture here in the house that does show that though it isn’t e very good picture I must admit

All comments welcome as always

Oval rimmed White Ash bowl.jpg Oval rimmed White Ash bowl profile.jpg Oval rimmed White Ash bowl bottom.jpg Oval rim bowl.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Very nice Leo. You did a good job on the grain orientation. The last picture is the real keeper. You'll have people wanting to know how you did that. Just tell them "God was my co-pilot on this turning."

White ash is just a beautiful hardwood. Nice work Leo.

Leo,

Very nice work! I especially like the undercut and grain orientation. And the oval outer rim makes a very nice contrast to round inner rim.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Wow - what a cool way to create a unique bowl! Love the imagination Leo!! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice bowl. I like the subtle oval rim approach and did it once on a Bradford Pear bowl that was twice turned. I had planned initially to make handles like you had done by cutting off non handle rim with band saw, but the oval rim looked too good, and different. I expect to see more posted here after seeing your post. The Ash grain does look good also.

What a great bowl Leo and the oval rim really sets it apart. Wonderful shape, grain and finish.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Very nice Leo. You did a good job on the grain orientation. The last picture is the real keeper. You'll have people wanting to know how you did that. Just tell them "God was my co-pilot on this turning."
    Thanks Steve , It is a good conversation starter I think, IF people actually notice it, as usually this would be just one of more pieces they would see, anyway I do like the look of it, and that is the main reason I made it like that
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    White ash is just a beautiful hardwood. Nice work Leo.
    Thanks for commenting David 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Wow - what a cool way to create a unique bowl! Love the imagination Leo!! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Steve , just grab it when the opportunity is there, ideas galore, they just have to fit, KISS is also important 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Very nice bowl. I like the subtle oval rim approach and did it once on a Bradford Pear bowl that was twice turned. I had planned initially to make handles like you had done by cutting off non handle rim with band saw, but the oval rim looked too good, and different. I expect to see more posted here after seeing your post. The Ash grain does look good also.
    Thanks Thomas , yes it does look good when balanced, and a lot less sanding/work than going for the handles, though they (handles) do have a different appeal and fit better in some cases IMO
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    What a great bowl Leo and the oval rim really sets it apart. Wonderful shape, grain and finish.

Sid
    Hello Sid , thank you for your comments it’s appreciated
    Have fun and take care