Thread: Veritas Shooting Plane

Veritas Shooting Plane

Veritas shooting plane....anyone here own one? What are your impressions of the tool?

Thanks for any input...

Thanks! Forgot that you had reviewed so many planes.

shootingplanesmall.jpgI think it's great. A board with a track is definitely an upgrade, especially if you have many pieces to shoot. It's the only modern, high dollar plane I own. After many repititions, I end up not using the tote to push the plane by, but rather push it right on the hump. I built a board out of Corian, but then got in a hurry to start a job, and just made the fences out of scrap. I made the board big enough to go the other way with the left handed one. We did a floor inlay with several hundred pieces of Oak, and it worked like a charm. The only way you can tell the new pieces from the old, is that our pieces fit better. That picture is after about a year sitting out on various jobsites, and the only thing it's had put on it is CRC 3.36 maybe once every two or three weeks if it's being used. 01 and I are old friends, so that's what I got. It stays sharp a LONG time.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-05-2014 at 5:27 PM.

I like mine. I ordered it with the PMV-11 blade and I'm glad as I find myself touching even that up frequently. Takes a little initial setup time but it's not rocket science and once you have it dialed in it is quite satisfying to use-there is just something about those curly end grain shavings (ok, maybe that's a little weird but...). I use mine with a shooting board and get consistent, professional results. The plane has just enough mass to keep the shearing action smooth but so much that you tire out quickly in using it. The set screws make it easy to touch up the blade and return to work. A nice design. Be sure and check out Derek's link above, his review excellent. Additionally, while I generally prefer O-1 steel, in this application (making lots of end grain shavings), the PMV-11 seems like a less frustrating choice, this is a hardworking plane.

Blog Entries
    Love it. It is not only a very functional plane, but also it's a beauty to behold. The other comments have said enough about it. I add two thumbs up.

I think after I add a couple more saws this will find its way on to my plane shelf....

Blog Entries
    I got to play with it at the show. Just as expected; very nice. We all have our favorites but, to me this seems to be the pinnacle of this plane design to date. The mulit-position handle, skewed blade, adjustable mouth with stop and set screws . . . its a sweet ride.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-06-2014 at 8:21 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Veritas shooting plane....anyone here own one? What are your impressions of the tool?

Thanks for any input...
    My impression is that shipping is a good deal right now.

I just returned from the Sacramento Woodworker show yesterday. I tried out the Veritas shooting plane and loved it. I ordered one with the PMv11 blade. There was a 5% discount plus Veritas paid for shipping and California tax. I am really looking foreward to using it both for end grain shooting and for edge jointing when I need to edge glue two or more boards.

Blog Entries
    I ordered one with the PMv11 blade. There was a 5% discount plus Veritas paid for shipping and California tax. I am really looking foreward to using it
    Here is hoping it gets there before you get snowed in.

Looks like we are going to get an early Arctic Blast this week.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Looks like we are going to get an early Arctic Blast this week. "

Yea, I read that but the forecast for my area (central Sierras) is fairly benign. Cooling down some, low 50's during the day, but nothing worse. Anyway, I won't be able to use it, or the two PMv11 chisels I also got, until Xmas. They are a present from my wife. I had to promise not to use them yet. Bummer.