Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielson to Veritas conversion?

Except its definitely Coke, Chocolate & Bourbon......

Actually it's pour the bourbon in the coke and have a chocolate vanilla soft swirl and make sure there's scotch guard on the couch ...
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    What you say is indeed correct George. Wooden planes do provide a burnished effect that no steel soled plane can ever replicate.

During the 1950s my father served his apprenticeship as a Carpenter and Joiner in Scotland under the tutelage of a certified Master Craftsman. Not once was he allowed to use anything other than a wooden soled plane for this very reason.

A long time has passed since then. As such, we are to now take heed and listen to the modern generation of enthusiasts who will openly advice us that they have a much greater understanding of how things should have been done, in mindful contradiction to that taught and understood by much earlier generations of craftsmen.
    I think its better that the information be out there than not, it brings the subject back into debate which is beneficial to those who want to improve their skills. Otherwise there is no impetus for telling about wooden planes and other method.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I have no particular brand loyalty. Hence, I don't have to choose. I like some by LN, some by LV, and some by others. Pick what makes you happy. My preference is not necessarily related to your preference. Nor should it be.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Maybe it is just me. We (collectively) seem to spend an inordinate amount of time to convert others to our viewpoints. There are many on this board I hold in very high esteem who are able to create excellent results with their very different preferences in tools and techniques. Isn't that enough? Why must we seek to convert others? Do we need only one view?

Will we next be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Blog Entries
    According to biblical accounts of angels, they are similar in height to humans, so unless it is a very large pin, then none could dance on it, except that it be placed in the ground and he kept one toe on it as he danced, but I wouldn't count that. That said, you didn't say how many angels could dance on the head of a pin AT THE SAME TIME. Now in that case, then all of them could. According to Revelation 5:11 there are at least 10,000 times 10,000. Although likely metaphorically said, one could deduce by this that at least 100,000,000 Angels could dance on the head of a pin.

Showing my age here...I immediately thought, "Chevy vs. Ford; Homelite vs. McCullough." But those particular religious arguments got settled years ago, the first when Toyota, Honda, and others expanded the pool of choices, and the second, similarly, when Husqvarna, Poulan, etc. got things all cornfused.

I admit, part of the reason I prefer LV is because I can drive tothe local one and buy what I need. The fact that they are more econonomical is also a big deal for me. I also prefer the LV designs.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Although likely metaphorically said, one could deduce by this that at least 100,000,000 Angels could dance on the head of a pin.
    Malcolm,

That is only accounting for the softer steels like O1 or W1. Some of the new harder steels could accommodate a lot more dancing before being obliterated into nothingness.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Maybe it is just me. We (collectively) seem to spend an inordinate amount of time to convert others to our viewpoints. There are many on this board I hold in very high esteem who are able to create excellent results with their very different preferences in tools and techniques. Isn't that enough? Why must we seek to convert others? Do we need only one view?

Will we next be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    I don't get that feeling from too many of the posts. Most of the time I try to make it clear my opinion or preference is just that.

In my way of thinking it is more important for the worker to be happy with the tools they use/have/purchase than it is to have the hip factor some folks try to place on one tool over the other. Especially when they do the same thing and the difference is only cosmetic.

I know some people are appalled at the idea of a plane's adjustment mechanism having any backlash or a more technical term, slop. To me, it isn't a big deal and it can be used at times to my own advantage.

Some like shiny bling and that is just as valid a choice as those who like a patina of age.

After all is done those half blind dovetails will not reveal whether they were pared with a Blue Spruce or a Stanley #60.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Please understand that I am not upset in the least by this. But there are many ways to accomplish the end results. I just find it a bit pointless over all the effort of members to convert other members to their single point of view.

To pick an alternative analogy, it becomes a bit like comparing Greene & Greene houses, Frank Lloyd Wright houses, Josef Hoffman houses, and Richard Neutra houses. All completely different and sometimes a rejection of the others' style. But each is excellent. Everyone will have a different subjective opinion, but you can never get all to agree. Nor need you.

Like you, I am fine with others going in a different direction.
    Shawn

Holy cow. Nice set up. Is that woodie on the right a panel raiser? Shopbuilt? Is the Jack Rabbet (I think that's what it is) Lie Nielsen?

Yes, a panel raiser. No, not shop made. Leon Robbins.

The 10 is vintage stanley. I hunted one down because Aldren Watson liked em in Handtools. It's been useful from time to time, but not really necessary if you have other planes that can handle rabbets.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I don't see a reason to choose. They both make quality tools. Buy what you like. It is for you, not anyone else. What does it matter what anyone else thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    I don't see a reason to choose. They both make quality tools. Buy what you like. It is for you, not anyone else. What does it matter what anyone else thinks.

I like both of their tools. My only real thought is that I am really enjoying the more modern and updated vibe of the LV stuff, plus I like the PMV-11 blade steel.