Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm spending 10K - are those the right choices?

You guys are awesome, thanks.

so i'm pretty much set on the table saw. I would love a slider but i'll manage

still not 100% decided regarding the jointer / planer combo but the limited foot print of the combo might take over other considerations

dust control is now an absolute must

I'll go from there and see what comes up. As most of you said, there are so many little things I'll need, I better keep some $$ in my pocket.

time to hit some stores and get the best offers. if everything goes according to plan, i should make the big purchases in 3-4 weeks.

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I would definitely be looking at a mortiser. One of the power tools I wouldn't be without.
    I would just like to say that not everyone feels that way. I sold my mortiser a few months ago to another SMC member. It worked well but I seldom used it. I now use a precision doweling jig instead for most things. Dowels are faster, easier, take up less room in the shop and the equipment is only a tiny fraction of the cost. There are a few applications where nothing less than a M/T joint will do. If I needed that, I would first look into a Festool Domino to see whether it would be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Grenier View Post
    You guys are awesome, thanks.

so i'm pretty much set on the table saw. I would love a slider but i'll manage

still not 100% decided regarding the jointer / planer combo but the limited foot print of the combo might take over other considerations

dust control is now an absolute must

I'll go from there and see what comes up. As most of you said, there are so many little things I'll need, I better keep some $$ in my pocket.

time to hit some stores and get the best offers. if everything goes according to plan, i should make the big purchases in 3-4 weeks.

thanks again
    With those thoughts, I really think you are on the right track.

It's not really a problem using the machine it is more work flow than anything else. BTW IF your used to metric system get the clock!

Thanks Dave, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Metric is not a problem for me, Quebec has been metric for some time now so I'm used to see both (my kids are 100% metric). Foot print is indeed important, that's my primary reason to look at this machine. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I would have to spend close to 4k for a good 8" jointer and 12" planer so I figured I could go with the hammer for the same price (ballpark) and save on the space. Reviews being usually great, I basically just need to figure out if I can deal with the hassle.

I don't think you're going to get halfway to a fully outfitted shop if you are buying the quality tools you are talking about at new prices.
    Do you really need a fancy new jointer planer, or would a used 8 inch joiner and 15 inch planer work good enough for you? That would save you a couple thousand dollars.
    Sure a domino would be nice, but do you want to spend 10% of your budget there?
    For the tablesaw, you could save a whole lot of money by buying a used saw that will cut wood the same way, obviously without the safety factor. no need to start a safety discussion, but just something for you to mull over.
    I don't think I have ever heard someone say you need to buy a mortiser for one of your first big tools. And a mortiser and a domino?
    As somebody said earlier on, you're going to get a lot of opinions on what you should spend your money on. If I were you I would take it all with a few grains of salt, and really think about what you are going to build.

Blog Entries
    Here we go...

priority #1 - table saw - my choice: Sawstop professional

priority #2 - jointer /planer - my choice: hammer A3-31, unless you suggest I go with 2 separate machines

priority #3 - bandsaw - my choice: Grizzly G0555LAN (as you can see, less $$ available lol)

priority #4 - press drill - my choice: Shopfox W1668

priority #5 - router - my choice: PC 7518

The only thing I was not able to decide on is the right dust collector. Powermatic 1300tx? Grizzly G0703?...
    Remember these responses are all just our own opinions .

Priority #1 should be your dust collector. If you can have it outside in a lean-to or attached shed, go for the most powerful bagger you can afford. If you have to exhaust back into your breathing air, a cyclone is a must. I have a 2HP Griz and would have had a 3HP but, physical limitation prohibited it.

I have the Saw Stop PCS and have been very happy with it. As to short or long fence rails, that will depend on what you do. I went long and have not been sorry once.

I prefer a separate jointer and planer for the flow/methods of work I use but, many people LOVE their A3-31.

I was foolish enough to sell my smaller bandsaw when I bought my 17". Within a month I had bought another used small saw. I could do with only a large saw but, would have trouble with only a smaller saw. That being said, there are some pretty respectable 14" offerings nowadays but, they are priced up with larger saws so . . . why do that? Space limitation would be the only driver there for me and I would seriously consider going short on something else. The scales on the bandsaw / tablesaw change with what you do. What is important to me may not be to you.

I assume the drill press decision is in the hope for it to be a spindle sander as well. I think this makes sense as there are almost no decent drill presses being made today for the money you might want to spend. The smaller DP will get you started, not set you back much and teach you what more you do, or do not need out of a DP. I have a 17" and wish for a 20" about 20% of the time. YMMV.

I have a half a dozen routers or so. I never knew they were part rabbit. Porter Cable has a questionable pedigree right now and are a guaranteed pass for me at this point in history. I have 5 Milwaukee routers with a 5625 in the table but, cannot vouch for them either since my newest one is many years old. Based on experience I would buy a new Milwaukee before I would a PC but, that's just me.

So, dust collection FIRST. Then divide the remaining budget up from there. I speak from experience in that I will always have to wear a respirator, dust collector or not due to my NOT putting dust collection first early on. I'm not trying to scare anybody but, I am on daily medication and the extra precautions I have to take just to have fun I would not wish on anyone. Make dust collection first on your list and enjoy woodworking for a long, long time .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-06-2014 at 8:27 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I would never buy all of the tools at one time. If you do, you will probably find that some you thought were needed don't get used.

I would buy a basic shop, see how it goes, and then decide which tools to add.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Remember these responses are all just our own opinions .
    Actually, mine is pretty much FACT!!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I don't think you're going to get halfway to a fully outfitted shop if you are buying the quality tools you are talking about at new prices.
    Do you really need a fancy new jointer planer, or would a used 8 inch joiner and 15 inch planer work good enough for you? That would save you a couple thousand dollars.
    Sure a domino would be nice, but do you want to spend 10% of your budget there?
    For the tablesaw, you could save a whole lot of money by buying a used saw that will cut wood the same way, obviously without the safety factor. no need to start a safety discussion, but just something for you to mull over.
    I don't think I have ever heard someone say you need to buy a mortiser for one of your first big tools. And a mortiser and a domino?
    As somebody said earlier on, you're going to get a lot of opinions on what you should spend your money on. If I were you I would take it all with a few grains of salt, and really think about what you are going to build.
    I'm with you Matt, some of the machines I can do without. No mortiser or domino for now that's for sure. As for buying used equipement, I never been confortable doing so. I know that it's a logical thing to do but I always prefered buying new and rely on the warranty and customer service. I don't trust myself to judge what would a good deal or not and I prefer being able to have a sales rep available if I need to kick some butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Actually, mine is pretty much FACT!!!
    Love it...!!!

I'm with you Matt, some of the machines I can do without. No mortiser or domino for now that's for sure. As for buying used equipement, I never been confortable doing so. I know that it's a logical thing to do but I always prefered buying new and rely on the warranty and customer service. I don't trust myself to judge what would a good deal or not and I prefer being able to have a sales rep available if I need to kick some butt.
    The only thing machine wise that I bought new was a band saw, 14 inch Jet cast Iron frame 1 horse motor. Its ok but I see now if I get serious about resawing this saw won't cut it for long. (pun intended). Most all of the equipment I have I purchased here on SMC and one on E bay. That was spooky!

Let see 3 planers. 2 jointers, 2 shapers, 2 lathes, if you get my drift..... don't settle for low powered entry level equipment unless your trying to get over a hump till you can find the right deal. Ask a few questions here as you have done, I'm sure from all the varied opinions some of us will have to agree on something LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I would just like to say that not everyone feels that way. I sold my mortiser a few months ago to another SMC member. It worked well but I seldom used it. I now use a precision doweling jig instead for most things. Dowels are faster, easier, take up less room in the shop and the equipment is only a tiny fraction of the cost. There are a few applications where nothing less than a M/T joint will do. If I needed that, I would first look into a Festool Domino to see whether it would be sufficient.
    Annnd........from the other side of the coin:

First - If you don't plan on a lot of M&T joints, then this can be deferred.

Second - I used both extensively: dowel jig and mortiser. No Green Kool-aid experience. I sold the dowel jig, I donated my original mortiser to a HS shop, and I got a "real" mortiser [PM 719]. Would never consider getting rid of it. It is a one-trick pony, to be sure, but it does that one trick efficiently and accurately, with setup times that are very quick. The dowel jig never quite had the alignment that the mortiser does.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Annnd........from the other side of the coin:

First - If you don't plan on a lot of M&T joints, then this can be deferred.

Second - I used both extensively: dowel jig and mortiser. No Green Kool-aid experience. I sold the dowel jig, I donated my original mortiser to a HS shop, and I got a "real" mortiser [PM 719]. Would never consider getting rid of it. It is a one-trick pony, to be sure, but it does that one trick efficiently and accurately, with setup times that are very quick. The dowel jig never quite had the alignment that the mortiser does.
    But I think the point here is that would it be in your first 3 or 4 purchased. I agree that if $$ is available it must he a sweet machine but should I get it before other tools...not convinced.

Basically I've been working wood as a hobby for most of my adult life, building decks, outside furniture and the like. But I'm getting a lot of demand for house furniture and giving it a try, I realized that the level of precision needed, the type of wood used, and the fact that people are expecting much more when it comes to this type of product is not compatible with my actual machinery and set-up. As of today I work with a Bosch mitter saw, DeWalt portable table saw, hand power tools and basic hand tools.

Starting january 2015, I will be working full time as a woodworker and I'll spend 75% of my time doing house furniture and 25% (mostly summer) doing decks and garden furniture. I'll be working in my garage for now and hopefully be able to have a dedicated shop soon enough. As many of us do, I'll be sharing garage space with my wife's car at night so I'll move my equipment around, available space being 13x17. But I'm okay with that.

As I said, all insights are welcome and thanks for reading the whole thing
    If Canada is like the USA I wouldn't start without liability insurance. Here it isn't cheap. If your running a business out of your home it can change the way the insurance industry looks at you.

Are you making any money with the tools you have now? I spent many years as a pro woodworker. One reason I made a little profit doing it was I only expanded when there was a need. I did many jobs with only a radial arm saw to cut full 4x8 sheets and rip lumber with! Only when I got a big store fixture job did I buy my first vertical panel saw.

Also you might need more room. Say you make a table. At the end of each work session will you have to store it in the 13x17 area? If it's a big table or some cabinets you will be doing a lot of rearranging.
    I think new machines might be the least of your concerns. It's possible to make money with minimal equipment and space if your creative, so I don't want be to negative. Good luck. Just my thoughts.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Through buying, selling, upgrading, and downgrading, I've learned a few things. I remember hearing from a professional woodworker that he spend $8000 on sharpening devices and figured out what he needed for $500! That's been my experience with tools. I'm a hobbyist and value working comfortably with space and not in a cloud of dust. Get a great dust collector and choose tools with efficient collection. Especially, if you are doing this for a living. Air scrubber and good respirator. How many tools would I buy again? Sawstop, Kreg machine, Byrd heads for jointer and planer. RAS or miter saw. RAS allows better dust collection, but not something you can haul around. Fence stops that are positive and accurate on Table saw and cross cut saw. Festool track saw is very handy. Saw blades dedicated to operation. Cross cut vs rip vs plywood. Be prepared to buy a machine twice!