Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Household vacuum cleaner recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Good to know you have had good performance from your Miele,I don't hear negative comments on Miele,and Shark vacuums,but there's a significant price difference,if I wanted to spend no more that $200,I would seriously consider a shark vacuum.
    Shark can have HEPA filter. It has two filters - a washable foam filter then a paper cartridge filter after that. At least some of the cartridge filters are HEPA rated.

Home Depot has a special buy right now for $128 on a Shark Navigator Pro. The model number is NV80, but I can't find much information on it. It seems like it might be an old model although with over 1,000 Home Depot stores I can't imagine Shark having 15,000+ leftover vacuums.

I'm debating between this and a Sebo based vacuum like the Century 400 for $400. I might get a central vacuum down the road and the Shark could be a short term vacuum although I am debating if the central vac has enough advantages. I could really use the extra $250 for an over the range microwave right now. I really prefer to buy stuff that will last from a 1st world country versus disposable stuff from China.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Shark can have HEPA filter. It has two filters - a washable foam filter then a paper cartridge filter after that. At least some of the cartridge filters are HEPA rated.
    Just because the filter is HEPA rated that doesn't mean the vacuum is HEPA rated. The Shark is a good competitor against the Hoovers and other cheap vacuums. I've heard plenty of stories about Sharks breaking down but they certainly seem more reliable and better performing than other options @ that price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Home Depot has a special buy right now for $128 on a Shark Navigator Pro. The model number is NV80, but I can't find much information on it. It seems like it might be an old model although with over 1,000 Home Depot stores I can't imagine Shark having 15,000+ leftover vacuums.

I'm debating between this and a Sebo based vacuum like the Century 400 for $400. I might get a central vacuum down the road and the Shark could be a short term vacuum although I am debating if the central vac has enough advantages. I could really use the extra $250 for an over the range microwave right now. I really prefer to buy stuff that will last from a 1st world country versus disposable stuff from China.
    Without a doubt I'd go for the century vac in the long term and skip the idea of a much more expensive central vacuum. There is literally nothing that I don't like about the prochem version (same vac) after 8 years. It's seen nothing other than one new beater brush, a set of filters and several dozen bags. (of course, I changed the beater brush, it's an easy process, the vac. has a pushbutton beater release). I'm not sure what's different about the sebo belts, but no new belts have been needed in that span, and I've seen that sebo advertises a lifetime warranty on the belt.

I bought a german-made vac for the same reason you're considering the microwave, I got tired of sending money to people to make garbage vacuum cleaners in the third world. Vacs that last two or three years and are miserable to use almost right away because of broken switches or accessories, and fading suction. I didn't buy a sebo only because they have a crazy idea about pricing over here whereas they don't in the rest of the world. I don't understand how the vac sells for much less in the UK and continental europe despite having a high VAT there and not here. Getting a different paint scheme to avoid that has proved to be no problem.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-09-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Without a doubt I'd go for the century vac in the long term and skip the idea of a much more expensive central vacuum. There is literally nothing that I don't like about the prochem version (same vac) after 8 years. It's seen nothing other than one new beater brush, a set of filters and several dozen bags. (of course, I changed the beater brush, it's an easy process, the vac. has a pushbutton beater release). I'm not sure what's different about the sebo belts, but no new belts have been needed in that span, and I've seen that sebo advertises a lifetime warranty on the belt.
    The Century 400 model only has the manual height control. Is it worth spending an extra $60 for the automatic height control on the Prochem PV12? It seems like another thing that will break eventually. Consumer Reports seems to prefer manual height control.

I can do a central vacuum for not a whole lot more than a Prochem PV12. I figure under $700 if I install central vac myself. A central vac is a pain for a simple cleanup and sometimes for cleaning carpets, but it works great for dusting window sills and things like edging carpets that require use of a hose. I'm wondering if I really want to go through installing a central vac in an existing house. Much easier in a new house like my previous house.

You'll like the hose on a century, the self retract. It's at hand (without doing anything) for stuff like sills and edges of carpets (and under kitchen cabinets, etc). You pull it off and it doesn't suck itself into the vac, but as soon as you put it back in the holder, it retracts completely.

The auto height adjust is a very nice thing to have, but you don't need it, especially if you're not going over a multitude of surfaces. I was concerned about the height servo because the first vac I actually got was a used SEBO where the vac shop selling it wasn't truthful about its condition, and the height adjust didn't work. I considered replacing the servo before I got sense and forced them to take it back (they claimed it worked properly when they sold it).

The servo module price at the time for height adjust was $37, but I haven't had any trouble in 8 years or so with mine, and it's always dead on where the height should be and constantly adjusting for conditions. The only quirk is that when it lowers itself on bare floor, a warning light comes on, but it's done that for 8 years now, and it's not like it's being restricted (or even being put under strain), it just thinks it's run into an obstruction but continues to operate.

If we only had one type of surface and one bare floor, I probably would just stick with manual height (we have five or 6 different surfaces and some rooms with area rug and hardwood, so it's a nice feature to have).

I kinda hijacked this thread a bit. I ended up getting a brand new Century 400 UVAC with the manual height adjustment. Total cost was $403. I hope it might be here this week yet.

For the OP, I think the Shark Navigator Pro for $128 at Home Depot is a good deal for an inexpensive vacuum. If you don't want to travel to Home Depot they also have it online with free shipping.