Thread: Demo advice needed

Demo advice needed

I'm doing an "artist studio tour" this weekend where I'll actually be setting up in someone else's studio since mine is fairly remote. I'm taking my delta midi, sharpening setup and a rigged up air cleaner. No sanding planned.

The idea of the tour is to let folks see various artists at work so they get an idea of what goes into a piece. I'm the only turner and I'll focus on hollow forms. I've just never done any kind of demo before and I know a lot of you have.

Any tips on material prep, equipment I might not think to bring, managing turning, talking and selling without killing myself or anyone else, or anything other advice would be greatly appreciated.

just a thought - but you might want to consider open bowls instead of a hollow form.

with a bowl - you'll be making shavings fly - which gets attention.

with a hollow form...watching someone hollow a piece (to me) is like watching grass grow.

I don't know what your preferred type of turning work is. That said, I also would suggest bowls (or spindlework) rather than hollow forms for a demo -- with hollowing there is little visible change, and a fair bit of time is spent removing shavings from the interior. Whatever you choose, good luck with your demo.

Talk continuously during the demo, don't mess with sanding (no one wants to watch people sanding and the dust could be a problem), might want to take a small air compressor and some lengths of hose so the shavings can be blown out (I always take a small pancake compressor and enough hose to sit the compressor outside), go over the obvious safety stuff before turning anything (you never know how many newbies are in the audience).

Have fun, smile and a few funny stories that have something to do with turning helps keep the crowd's attention. Good luck!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    just a thought - but you might want to consider open bowls instead of a hollow form.

with a bowl - you'll be making shavings fly - which gets attention.

with a hollow form...watching someone hollow a piece (to me) is like watching grass grow.
    Agreed. By all means bring some sample hollow forms and maybe even your hollowing rig so that they can see it, but when it comes to actually turning live, do something they can see better.

I turn small stuff that can be finished on the spot. I sand, but not a lot. Turning a top is fast, turning a small box takes a while. I use a fast finish on the lathe, and give away whtever I turn. I love to see them smile and go wow when you put a finish on the piece. If I can make someone smile and be happy for 15 minutes after I give them something, it makes my day. Hurting someone with a top or small box is pretty remote. I've had several boxes pop off the tenon when finishing the bottom. It just bounces around by the audience. I'm not talented enough to talk and turn at the same time, so I have to stop turning to talk. Which is always fun to do.

I'll agree that watching a hollow form develop would only be interesting to another turner. Maybe.

Just my $0.02.

Let the lathe run more than your mouth. I hate demos where the turner just stands and talks more than he show what to do.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Thanks for all the replies, fantastic advice! I hadn't really thought about how boring it would be to watch someone hollow. And these aren't turners who will be watching, they are art buyers/collectors/enthusiasts. I really want to promote HFs to this crowd so I may cut a wedge out of a couple, or drill holes in them, so they can see the cutter tip in action. Still not nearly as fun as watching ribbons fly off a bowl. I guess I could just shape the outside of a few HFs too.
    Thanks again!

Just make weed pots, finish with bees wax, stick some dry wheat or lavender in them and give them away. Save the hollow form demo for the fat bald guy gatherings.

Jim, I just did such a tour this last summer - had about 50-60 people per day walk through my shop and home. Most non-turners will be more than satisfied if you simply and briefly describe the process and send a few ribbons of wood shavings flying. Don't get hung up about doing a detailed demo - save that for your turning club. My local Art League Studio Tour involved 25 different artists (only one woodturner), at about 15 different sites, so attendees had lots to see and absorb. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Jim, I just did such a tour this last summer - had about 50-60 people per day walk through my shop and home. Most non-turners will be more than satisfied if you simply and briefly describe the process and send a few ribbons of wood shavings flying. Don't get hung up about doing a detailed demo - save that for your turning club. My local Art League Studio Tour involved 25 different artists (only one woodturner), at about 15 different sites, so attendees had lots to see and absorb. Have fun.
    Thank you. That helps a lot. I'm having a hard time picturing the scene so it's hard to prepare. Your tour sounds very similar to this one. I do tend to over think these things. I'd be more relaxed if they were coming to my shop but setting up remotely leaves me feeling pretty naked.

Our club does two events a year where we turn live in front of a crowd. We use a midi lathe and give the turnings away. All members turn tops for the kids. Some members turn honey dippers or other simple spindle forms for the adults.

I bring some small bowl blanks and involve the audience by letting them provide input on the 'shape' or design of the bowl. When turning 'Harry Potter wands' for the kids I also let the kids sketch what they think the wand should look like. All ages love to see the shavings fly. This involvement helps make any explanation of the process you do while turning more pertinent. Last year one woman wanted "A shot glass for me to store my old wedding ring in. No, don't ask why." she said... had to be a story there!

When you are in your shop, practice describing what you are doing while you are turning. Don't forget to look up while talking rather than talking to the wood. After a while it will become easier.
    God is great and life is good!

Jim - bowl or hollow form, most people haven't a clue how a blank is oriented on the lathe - let alone cut from a tree. Take a couple of in-process roughouts to show the before/after parts of what we do. Also, your excitement about what you are creating/turning is contagious - share it with everyone and do your best to answer everyone's questions. For a lot of folks, your demo will be the first time they have ever seen a lathe in operation. The more fun you have - the more interest you will generate!

Enjoy yourself at the show!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!