Thread: Question on Cabinet Door Hinges

Question on Cabinet Door Hinges

I still have to put the doors on my shop cabinets. I got hinges made for face frames and have the cup for the door. They are 1/2 overlay hinges. I don't mean to be stupid but I think I know what that means but not 100% sure. Does a 1/2 inch overlay hing mean, that the door if constructed right should fit over the door opening by 1/2 inch all the way around? Does this also mean the the beginning edge of the hinge cup hole should start 1/2 inch in from the edge?

Thanks, again sorry to be stupid but I have never done any door work of this type and I plan to use the same on my kitchen door cabinets if possible.

Corey

There's probably several definitions of half-overlay. The one I know is the door overlays half (or there abouts) of the face frame.

The hinge manufacturer usually has a spec sheet detailing how far from the edge of the door frame the cup is to be placed. 1/2 in. is a long way from the edge. 1/8" is more usual. Check w/ the manufacturer to be sure and then do a sample!

See... I guess I was wrong. Problem is, I bought these bulk on the internet and no instructions or anything came with. I guess I will just have to do some test drilling on scrap to figure it out. I assume then that it has nothing to do with 1/2 inch covering the door opening. I suppose it doesn't make much difference how much of the face fram you cover up as long as you do cover it and the hinge is placed so that the door opens properly.
    Thanks John,
    Corey

Since thes are "european" hinges and they don't use face frames 1/2 overlay means it overlays about 3/8 inch. I generally set the edge of the cup hole 7/32 from the door edge. Definately make up a test piece to see how it all works.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Corey - If you have Blum hinges, the installation instructions can be found here:

http://www.cabinetparts.com/tech_dat...lum_index.html

Hinges

Corey,
    Most of the box stores have very inexpensive plastic templates for the euro hinges. I would try that approach. If it worked for me, it should work for anyone! The FIRST one is the hardest. After that those hinges are easy to install and GREAT when it comes to adjustments!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Thanks guys. Steve, thanks for the info, I will make my first test as you say. These hinges are actually made for face frames. You have the cup that first in the hole on the door and the other piecr wraps around the edge of the 3/4 face frame. They are not the typical EURO hinge with no face frame.
    Dale, dang, I just got home from the Borg! I will check out what they have. Where yah been all week?? Surely not working int he shop??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins
    Since thes are "european" hinges and they don't use face frames 1/2 overlay means it overlays about 3/8 inch. I generally set the edge of the cup hole 7/32 from the door edge. Definately make up a test piece to see how it all works.
    I do believe Steve has it correct! Way to go Steve. Thanks for the correction.

Even if you are using a face frame I'd assume the 3/8 inch overlay still applies.

The amount of overlay is determined by how far the hole for the hinge cup is drilled from the edge of the door and the height of the face frame adaptor. Blum has charts for their various hinges and they may work for yours as well.

Where I've been?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Dale, dang, I just got home from the Borg! I will check out what they have. Where yah been all week?? Surely not working int he shop??
    Corey,
    You should know better than to ask an obvious question such as that one! I can't get INTO my shop!! It's too full of scrap! There is no such thing as a "dumb" question, but that one came close!

You're going to LOVE those Euros. I may never go back!

Dale t.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!