Thread: Wood River turning tools

Wood River turning tools

Woodcraft is having a 25% off sale on turning tools. Does anyone have any experience using Woodcraft turning tools? I like saving money but not at the expense of a quality. If these are good tools I might pick up a few while they are on sale.

Thanks!

any tool in particular you are looking for?

my recollection on the WR tools (bowl gouge in particular) is they have an odd flute geometry that doesn't work very well. It could be WR, or it could be a Pinnacle that I have that I'm thinking of - the handles are shaped/colored similar.

if they have 25% off all tools - personally I would look at the Crown Pro-PM tools. 25% off is about the best deal you'll find on them.

I'm with Shawn on the Bowl Gouge they have a very thin flute and clog easy. Their other tools work very well and hold as good of an edge as any tool in their class. With the money you save you can probably buy a Thompson 1/2" Bowl Gouge and make a handle it will save you some cash. Remember you'll need some sharpening equipment also.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Ditto on the Wood River BGs. Not a good profile. They put long handles on all the tools including ones like spindle gouges that should be shorter. If you find exactly what you need at 25% off probably a good deal. Generally, a better buy is the unhandled Sorby tools when they are 20% off. Thompson tools are great also.
    God is great and life is good!

The WR bowl gouge profile clogs extremely easily. I bought one, used it only a couple times, let it sit for 5-6 years and finally just gave it away. The diamond parting tools might be something to get -- I got those and continue to use them. The uniformly long handles are awfully long for spindle gouges.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pass on the Wood River tools. I think I might pick up the slow speed grinder though. It is on sale for $99. I have the Wolverine sharpening system on order from Lee Valley and this grinder seems like a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    any tool in particular you are looking for?

my recollection on the WR tools (bowl gouge in particular) is they have an odd flute geometry that doesn't work very well. It could be WR, or it could be a Pinnacle that I have that I'm thinking of - the handles are shaped/colored similar.

if they have 25% off all tools - personally I would look at the Crown Pro-PM tools. 25% off is about the best deal you'll find on them.
    It's 25% off on all "Wood River" brand turning tools. Unfortunately, it is only the Wood River brand that is on sale.

I cut the handles off my WR tools. Most will fit the tool end into my Generals head stock and then you can shape the end of the handle how you want it.
    You can cut them with the band saw and sand the end,If they bother you cut them off I did.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I have the WR diamond parting, bowl scraper, 1/2 spindal and the deep fluted Bowl gouge. I am very pleased with all of them. Now...the WR bowl does clog but its the only bowl gouge I have ever used. I assumed that was just the nature of a deep fluted gouge. Thanks, I leaned something today.