Thread: Cast Iron table stain remover

Cast Iron table stain remover

Most of you may use this stuff to clean your table tops but its new to me......So, I was searching for something to remove stains from my bandsaw table after removing the rust. I have lots of stains on my table and when I used the evaporust to remove the rusty areas it also left black spots as well. So I ran across a post today that said to get some oxalic acid to remove the stains. So I googled oxalic acid and the first thing that popped up was Barkeepers Friend cleaner. Ran by wally world after work and picked up a bottle in liquid form. I tried it on two of the stains, left it on for only 30 seconds or so then scrubbed it with a burgundy scrub pad and shazam! Works like a champ. Don't know if the pics show it well enough but there is a clean area in front of the bottle and then I put an allen key in the in the cleaned area for focusing the camera.
    20141105_185936.jpg20141105_185950.jpg20141105_190010.jpg
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

That will come in hand if I ever get around to cleaning anything! I'm too busy pushing wood over the iron to care what it looks like.

I use Bar Keepers Friend and WD40. Both are available from Lowes and Home Depot. Mixing them together makes a thick paste that you apply, let sit for a while, rub in, let sit for a while, and then wipe off. The amount and number of applications may be more than one, depending on the severity of the stain. After it has been cleaned off, apply a thin coat of WD40 and wipe it in. Then you can apply paste wax or any other top preserver. I use several coats of Johnsons Paste Wax.

Charley

Good to know! We have some Bar Keepers Friend under our sink -- works great on stainless steel pots too!