Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maximum weight

maximum weight

Does anyone know how much weight I can mount on my 3520B? I contacted powermatic and they said if it can be mounted , it's not too heavy. This doesn't sound right to me.I'm not an engineer but I thought the main shaft or the bearings could be scored if you hang too much weight. The piece I want to turn weighs 90 pounds ;32 inch diameter. Has anyone hung this much weight on their lathe?

Thanx

I have never hung that much on mine, but I am sure others have. For safety, be sure to engage1 the tailstock a

it can handle more than you probably want to lift on to it.

I forgot to mention that I can't use the tailstock;I'm turning outboard.

I would hope that 90 pounds would not be too much. I bought the extension with the intention of turning pieces over 20" in diameter using the extension in the lower position. I expect that the blanks will weigh that much in the rough. Since PM's extension doesn't offer any tailstock support option, it would be of limited use if the 3520 couldn't handle that weight. (I have been in a wood supply and turning drought for the last year, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.)

I don't have a 3520B, but I suspect that the bearings are much stronger than you are assuming. The first bearing I looked at on the VXB web site (25x47x12) has a static load rating of 1315 pounds and a dynamic rating of 2270 pounds. It costs $4.37. The 3520B might even use larger bearings than my guess.

Steve

Nick Cook turned a huge log down for an table pedestal years ago. The chunk weighed some where around 800 pounds I believe. He had to turn it between two PM's held together with bar clamps. If someone has the link to the video it is neat to watch. To answer you question any quality full size lathe should handle 100 pounds or more with no problems. Just start off at slow speeds and work the speed up as it becomes more balanced.

Jack

It is not the weight alone that you need to worry about. Having the weight far away from the shaft (tall work without tail-stock support) multiplies the load on bearings. Out of balance work that shakes the lathe puts huge dynamic loads on the bearings.
    With all that said; I would not worry about the bearings when mounting a 90 lb blank. I would worry about it staying mounted. A fairly large faceplate with plenty of screws should take care of that.

wood%20109%20(640x427).jpg
    I've had more weight than that on my Jet 1642, it's little brother. You'll be fine. I had a 2 foot long 15" Norfolk Pine blank a couple times. I would trust what PM says. If it fits, you can turn it.
    Last edited by Kyle Iwamoto; 11-06-2014 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Add pic

Here's a pic of a 1600 lb log mounted on a PM 3520b... 90 lbs will be no problem.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the turner.

lathe1[1].jpg

You are asking about overhung weight and not between centers at the 32" D. I have had well over 100# between centers, but down to about 75# as overhung and that was also just under 20"D. I do want to hang a 32" piece at least once just to say I did an use the drop support and tool rest that I bought with lathe 7 years back. In addition to the weight, you need to be concerned about the out of balance that might cause much higher load on the bearings. I expect at 32" you want something fairly balanced to start.

Just as a point of reference: the Jet 1642 spindle has two bearings and the PM 3520 has 3.
    God is great and life is good!

I have turned a 34"x 150# bowl blank on a 3520(with extension) with no problems. Also 6 vase blanks in the 110 to130# weight class. These were up to 22" in length and were roughed out with a tailstock and hollowed out just hung out. All these pieces were mounted on a 3.5" glueblock and nova chuck screw. The hollowing out on a long vase is a good test but I'm sure the 3520 will hold much more if required.

Thanx to everyone for your help. Now I have another question. I only have Talon chucks--Would a 5" chuck be strong enough, or should I buy an 8" faceplate ?

Thanx again.

I would not consider using a chuck without tail stock support for a large piece. I would use a face plate no less than 6" and up to 10" with lots of screws. Is your lathe bolted down to the floor?
    faust