Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw choice

table saw choice

I have been sharing a shop with another woodworker for the last 5+ years. He has now moved to the suburbs and is going to do his woodworking in his garage. I need to replace the tools he will be taking with him, including his table saw. I want a good cabinet saw with a riving knife, but I don't feel the need for flesh-sensing technology. I do want good dust collection, and will likely get a blade cover with a dust port. I am leaning toward the Grizzly G0691 or G1023RLX, both of which are 3HP saws and are currently $1675 shipped with 52" rails.
    • Does anyone have any reason to choose one over the other?
    • Any experience on dust collection with either one?
    • Any recommendations on a blade cover with dust collection?
    • How is the Grizzly fence, and are any aftermarket fences an option?
    • Any other saw I should be looking at given the above criteria? (I have the space for a slider, but don't know about the budget. My shop has only one 220V circuit on a 30 amp breaker to run any tool and my dust collector, and I would not be able to get my landlord to improve that situation. Used tool bargains are rare in Chicago; when they are offered they go quickly, and I need to get back up and running soon.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
    Last edited by Jon Nuckles; 11-06-2014 at 3:58 PM.

I don't have any suggestions but I was just looking at both those saws myself, and was wondering the same thing.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I have been sharing a shop with another woodworker for the last 5+ years. He has now moved to the suburbs and is going to do his woodworking in his garage. I need to replace the tools he will be taking with him, including his table saw. I want a good cabinet saw with a riving knife, but I don't feel the need for flesh-sensing technology. I do want good dust collection, and will likely get a blade cover with a dust port. I am leaning toward the Grizzly G0691 or G1023RLX, both of which are 3HP saws and are currently $1675 shipped with 52" rails.
    • Does anyone have any reason to choose one over the other?
    • Any experience on dust collection with either one?
    • Any recommendations on a blade cover with dust collection?
    • How is the Grizzly fence, and are any aftermarket fences an option?
    • Any other saw I should be looking at given the above criteria? (I have the space for a slider, but don't know about the budget. My shop has only one 220V circuit on a 30 amp breaker to run any tool and my dust collector, and I would not be able to get my landlord to improve that situation. Used tool bargains are rare in Chicago; when they are offered they go quickly, and I need to get back up and running soon.)

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
    I went through the exact same process 2 months ago - 1023 vs 690. I wound up getting the 1023rlw though my decision process was not exact. I thought the 1023 would have better dust collection but am not so sure now. The 1023 shroud/blade cover only has a 2.5" hose running down to the 4" port. I have no way to compare them side by side so I think DC is likely to be a wash. DC with the 1023 is ok, but not great. The 1023 was a little cheaper in the most apple to apples comparison. Overall, I am way happy with the saw.

Lots of aftermarket fences but I really like the shopfox fence that shipped with my saw. Move it to, say, 6". Cut some wood, measure and, Gasp, it's 6" on the money. Very happy with that fence. Maybe I'd consider an incra fence but I don't think a Bessie would be much of an improvement.

By the way, because of the way the bundle the different options, be prepared for the various instructions being a little contradictory.

Also, I got the recommend shopfox mobile base - good call. Best mobile base I have (and I have 5 different ones).

The one place where you might want to upgrade is the miter gauge. It's ok, but just ok. I have an incra 1000 that I bought used and it rocks. If I was buying new, I'd get the 1000HD.

Last bit of advice - if you get it delivered, get in contact with the delivery guys the minute it hits their warehouse. I didn't and they held it for 4 days and a weekend. Squeaky wheel time.
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 11-06-2014 at 5:32 PM.

Phil,
    Thanks for the input. The 1023 was cheaper when I looked at them a few months ago, but Grizzly has actually reduced the price on the 691 by $70 since then. Now that the time to buy has arrived, not even cost can guide my choice! I hear you on the delivery. They use UPS Ground here and the last tool delivery I had through that service was a nightmare.
    Jon

I have a Steel City Hybrid, and love it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Start reading.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=2450717

This one has some of the differences.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=1023+690

This is my review of the 1023. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=1023+690

Check the motor specs on the two saws. Are they the same?

Good luck, Jon. Let us know what you decide. Either way, you'll have a saw that will last you a long time.

BTW, UPS ground for me too. I live about 80 miles from the Washington store but chose delivery because i didn't want to deal with a 500+ lb package. So what does the delivery guy say to me? - Can I just put it in your pickup? I said, No, you're going to put it in my shop. Sheesh, what crappy service. next time, I'm just renting a lift gate truck and a pallet jack.
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 11-06-2014 at 11:14 PM.

I vote this: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1819...+fox+table+saw
    I simply like the shop fox look vs the grizzly, both are made by grizzly.

I've had the 1023 with the router table extension for about 3 years. It's a good saw, but dust collection is poor.

The Christmas sale is on now, check it out.

The 1023RL is on sale now for $1195. Buy that and get the extended rails for $175 and build your own extension. It comes out to $1370 before shipping compared to $1525 before shipping with long rails. That way you get the bonus of getting both cast iron wings, a cheaper price, and may be able to sell the short rails for a small amount.

Chad

P.S. Shipping cost the same either way.

You were also asking about recommendations for a blade cover with dust collection. There've been a few posts on SMC identifying the Shark Guard as a viable option. I have an older contractors model Grizzly table saw (1022ZF w/2hp motor) that I've fitted with an undermount dust port, and am considering this as the next add-on.

Thanks to all who responded so far.

Myk: I have been using a hybrid (DeWalt) for the last 5+ years and think I want to spend for a cabinet saw for the future, even though my complaints about the DeWalt are probably not related to its being a hybrid.

Cary: Thanks for doing the search for me. All good reading and I am more well-informed, though I am still not sure what to buy.

Prashun: The specs on the motors are the same, though one is a Leeson and the other is not identified.

David H.: It looks like the Shop Fox with the 52" rails is about $300 more, so I'd need more than looks to sway my decision to go that way!

David M.: Dust collection is very important to me, so I appreciate your input. I don't know if the 691 is any better, but it might be enough for me to spend more and get a different brand.

Jim: I just went back to Grizzly's site and the prices haven't changed from what I quoted in my original post. Am I missing something or were you referring to a different option?

Chad: I am going to check that out right now. Good catch.

Mike,

Thanks for that link. I've bookmarked to check out after deciding on a saw. Looks like they can fit just about any tablesaw.