Thread: Monster Size Lathe

Monster Size Lathe

A friend of mine had this posted for sale in Craigslist, told me this evening a fellow is driving from Kentucky here to SC to buy it ... Price $1500

Think he got a deal?

Tim

2014-11-06 17.07.26.jpg2014-11-06 17.07.59.jpg2014-11-06 17.08.05.jpg

The buyer obvious feels he did. For me - no, but then, I do not have a need for that large of a lathe, nor the space, nor the inclination to make it functional on a practical level.

I passed on one like that, but in better shape, for $500. Still wonder if I should have gone for it. Space was a consideration, like John said, but it also lacked modern conveniences, like VFD and a sliding headstock, which are pretty easy to get used to.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I applaud turners with the ability and inclination to bring old iron back from the rust pile.......not sure what that much steel is worth at scrap yard.....but I like my 1642 and the no down time that it equets......it fits my turning style and size....btw exited to be going to see Binh Pho in Wilmington next month

$1500 seems a bit high too me. Mostly because it would need some serious cleaning/rust removal, the addition of a new motor with a VFD (it is probably 3 phase as it sits) and that the maximum turning radius would be limiting to anyone who wanted to turn something beyond spindles and porch pillars!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------