Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any hand saw pictures ?

Wow.

You just keep getting better.

Was that directed at me,Jim? If so,thank you. Actually,I'm pushing 74,and my memory is slipping a bit on some things.

A dovetail and backsaw. (Actually I stole the backsaw blade and back from an plastic handled stanley)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff,your saws approach the thin backs of the White backsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Chris. I didn't purchase those backsaws.

Stewie;
    Wow!....impressive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    An apple or two a day, as they say.Attachment 299914Attachment 299915. Best wishes.

...and I am looking forward to that very saw entering my portfolio early next year. Order has already been placed and I am on your waiting list....

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Kees,I may be wrong about the Cartwright saw. They and the White saws were not my favorite patterns,so they are not firmly remembered(Well,the White is,as ugly as it is,plus I had the picture). I'll have to check around and see if I have a picture of the Cartwrights-Actually,I do. There is a sample of each type backsaw we made laying in front of the big 16' bench full of backsaws.

As for the Dutch saws,we put 2 large,strong rivets through the part of the handle,where it extends onto the blade. A bit impossible for us to tell if they were forged from the solid or not,so rusty were the ones in the pictures we were given. It seems like forging them from the solid would have been the hard way to go. Riveting them seemed more practical. The extension could have been forge welded onto the blade. But,to forge weld onto a thin blade would have been asking the blade to melt,so I stuck with riveting. Also,forge welding carbon steel is difficult as it does start burning up at welding heat. Assuming those early saws had a decent amount of carbon in them-they may NOT have.

Edit: O.K.,here is a picture that includes the Cartwright. It is the 5th. saw from the left. Yes,it is a little different from your early Kenyon(which I was never shown when we were making saws. I think the museum did not have one.). The top edge of the handle is simpler on the Cartwright.

It's been seven years since we made these saws,so my memory isn't perfect.

You can click three times to enlarge this picture. The differences in the Cartwright vs. the early Kenyon becoome more easily seen after enlarging.
    I always enjoy seeing that picture of all these saw George, just like that picture with the table full of planes.

I think the early Kenyon saw was quite a recent discovery. To be honest I think the later Kenyons look better. But the early one sure have character.

Riveting such an old Dutch saw seems doable. I'll think about it. Maybe I should visit the museum first.

I've been browsing around on that museum website agian. The tang on these blades was usually forged! I am no blacksmith, so I have really no idea how they made a sawblade before the big hot steel rollers in Sheffield. A lot of hammering I guess.

Here is the link for the museum website. The text is Dutch, but you can click on the images and look around.
    http://www.openluchtmuseum.nl/ontdek...pen/handzagen/

Yes,looks like they did it the hard way! Those blacksmiths just HAVE to be manly men!! I think their blades were thicker than later ones,too. Probably made of pretty low carbon steel,too.

You can countersink your rivets and use the same steel as you do for the tang. Hammer them down real tight and they will be invisible.

We were not given a good closeup picture like that by Jamestown.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-08-2014 at 3:47 PM.

I collect old tools, but usually not saws. This one, however just appealed to me. Made by an early Philadelphia maker, Cresson. I haven't seen another sharpened like this, and don't know if it was just an owner modification or possible a special order/special purpose saw? Reminds me a little of some of the flooring saws.
    Any thoughts?

Looks modified to start a blind cut. Teeth enlarged,too. Very graceful handle. I just saw an 18th. C. Kenyon modified like that on the front end somewhere.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-11-2014 at 8:23 AM.

That modified Kenyon is at The Best Things (it's for sale, but not cheap - but then it shouldn't be).sa140231.jpg

That's it,John!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    An apple or two a day, as they say.Attachment 299914Attachment 299915. Best wishes.
    Talk about sensuous; those are exquisitely sexy. WOW.
    Not sure if my wife would be jealous or relieved (most likely the latter) if I got some of those to caress gently as I play in the shop . . . .

Very nice work Ron. Patrick

Here's an old Stanley 246 that I rescued from craigslist a little while back.

Doug