Thread: Gib screws

Gib screws

While changing the knives on my very old Rockwell (model number illegible) I lost two of the 16 gib srews. I have looked all over on line for replacement parts but to no avail. Would love feedback on how to find these almost obsolete parts.

Don't look at them as a part, just as a type of machine screw. Last time we need a couple thats what we did,worst case
    scenario is you might not find exact length ,so you might have to buy them a little long and then grind a little off.

I have a 37-315. Here is a site that may help you. I would just give them a call. I lost some a while ago but do not recall where I got them. I will keep searching and let you know if I find the site.

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta...n-jointer.html

A WTB on owwm BOYD ought to get them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Alicia
    You may want to take one to a machine shop, and have them make some for you. Could be faster then owwm BOYD.

Lot's of good feedback - thank you! I will keep searching but I may in fact need to have them custom made just don't know what that will run. I did look on parts direct before and then just now Jerry but what they're calling a gib screw doesn't look to me like it has any relationship to the cutter head - don't know? then there is a picture below with what looks like the cutter head and the knives and 4 fasteners which is what I have but there is no part number for those fasteners. I'll definitely look for some machine screws in the meantime. keep you posted.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    First, I recommend that you join OWWM and look for a manual for your jointer. If you don't know the model #, take a pic and post it(here too), it'll be identified almost immediately- those guys know their machines. The part description you're looking for might be described as "knife lock bar set screw" although most refer to them as "cutterhead gib bolts/screws". The gib screws you looked at are the bed gib screws and not at all the same. And cutter head bolts should be hardened also

Don't worry though- with all the people switching their heads to Bird/Shelix style spiral heads, there are plenty of cutter heads available for short money these days so the bolts you're looking for will turn up.
    Sixteen screws- four knife head?

This isn't really an issue at all. You can buy these type of screws at specialty fastener suppliers. If the heads aren't ground flat and square you can do this in your shop with a simple little jig. A thread pitch gauge will get you on your way.

We had to buy a whole box and wait a couple days for them. They were hardened and the whole box was around $20.

Blog Entries
    Can you post a photo of one of the screws and identify the thread size?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Most gib screws are slightly "domed". It gives a central contact point that lessens the tendency of moving the gib around when tightening...Look on e replacement parts or on the delta site ..they should not be hard to match up. I would not use regular machine screw unless the head has been worked on by a machinist or shop. here is a page for a DJ-20 screw you can see the domed or rounded head:
    Screw [1330143] for Delta Power Tool | eReplacement Parts

Joe's point is valid, but mfgs don't make much that can be bought stock. The ones we bought
    were exactly the same as what came in the old green powermatic except for length, and we checked and
    adjusted weight when we ground them shorter.

If it was me - I'd take one to my local Ace [no kidding - it has a decent selection - metric and SAE]. Find a nut that it fits to get the dia and pitch, then buy what you need. Or, find some supplier that has a bigger selection if you need to.

Cut to length with a hack saw if you need to, then use a file to make a point.

Correct me if I am wrong, but these are not rocket science - just some screws that fit into a tapped hole, and press down on the blades.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.