Thread: Cherry Burl Vase

Cherry Burl Vase

This is a small cherry burl vase. The tree that this came from had four good sized burls and they all have lots of figure like this. 4.5 inches by 4.5 inches, finished with WOP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice. whats a WOP finish? I have 4 cherry burls currently drying. One of them still had a small colony of termites in it. I found them about 30 seconds into initial roughing. Termites all over me and my lathe. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Vilary View Post
    Very Nice. whats a WOP finish? I have 4 cherry burls currently drying. One of them still had a small colony of termites in it. I found them about 30 seconds into initial roughing. Termites all over me and my lathe. lol
    WOP is wipe on polyurethane. Yes, burls are like a box of chocolates. This piece was twice turned, turned thick when wet, allowed to dry and then re-turned to final size.

Very nice. I'm not generally fond of that form - straight sided - but with the natural edge and burl grain it works well.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

How long did it take to dry? Mine are roughed to approx 1"

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Vilary View Post
    How long did it take to dry? Mine are roughed to approx 1"
    Kurt, I roughed this to about 5/8" thick then wrapped it in two layers of newspaper and poked a few pencil holes in the mouth of the vase. It sat in the corner of my basement, on the floor, for about 5 months. Then I unwrapped it and let it sit in the shop for another two weeks before I re-turned it. There are lots of variables involved, temperature, humidity, airflow, type of wood, etc. You just have to figure out what works for you.