Thread: Does anyone actually USE a #1 plane?

Does anyone actually USE a #1 plane?

Hi guys,
    I just noticed that Woodcraft now sells No. 1 hand plane for $120. I have (and use) a No. 2 on small boxes and the like. Ive been eyeballing LN's No. 1 for a while now. But a WR would suit me fine as a hobbiest.

But Ive heard/read that original No. 1s are scarce mainly because they werent very useful to the old timers. Do any of you have experience with a No. 1 (modern or original)? Is it really just a gimmick/toy or is it a useful tool for small projects?

I REALLY like and use my No. 2, so I got to wondering.

Thanks for your help.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I was looking at that #1 at Woodcraft today. To me, it looks like you'd use it about the same as a block plane. It's a cute plane, but I passed on buying it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Actually I'm using one right at this moment, while watching the Pens whoop the Sabres and while I'm typing this! The #1 is in a curio cabinet grabbing my attention, after reading your post. In the curio cabinet with several dozen other collectable tools that are not used.

FWIW, in "The Fine Tool Journal" about 5 or 10 years ago, I read a piece that posed the same question about #1's and in that article it was said that the tiny plane was sometimes used by older carpenters, with arthritic hands that couldn't hold a typical block plane, but could wrap around the tote of the #1.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have an old Stanley #1 that I use often in restoration work. The #1 is the only small, block size plane that has a double iron and is very useful when tear out is a problem and a small plane is needed. It's a block plane with the advantage of the double iron.

The No.1 makes a great paperweight and conversation piece. Mine adorns my desk in the Roppongi Hills building here in Tokyo.

Stan

Blog Entries
    It is a useful plane at times. I have the LN #1. It isn't a 'go to' or an everyday plane.

My thought is it might have served a lot of other purposes more than a century ago.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out they were carried by travelers who would have need to make a campfire.
    It would be a natural tool for a magician or crooked gambler to shave a deck of cards.
    As Tom said, some might use it in place of a block plane or apron plane.
    It might also be useful in trades that no longer exist. One would be saddle and leather work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hmmm... $120 huh?

I have a Stanley No. 2, Sweetheart era, that I use a lot. I make mostly relatively small boxes, so small planes make sense to begin with, but I really like the No. 2 for smoothing purposes. The small size makes it ideal for smoothing small areas of tearout that a larger smoother could fix but only by taking out a larger area. I have a couple of different replacement blades for it (one with a straight edge and one with just a bit of camber -- I set aside the original blade with the Sweetheart logo to preserve its value to collectors when my kids clean out all my stuff after I'm gone!), and I've played with it enough that I have a good feel for how to fettle it. I've wondered about a No. 1 as the logical extension,-- an even smaller double-iron plane. I've never been tempted to pay the high prices that Stanley No. 1's command, and I had never even noticed that LN has one -- which I now see is $225, and still probably more than I'd want to pay. But $120? That's getting there. I'm a regular at our local Woodcraft store, but I've never tried a Woodriver plane. Anyone have any experience with them?
    Last edited by Michael Ray Smith; 11-09-2014 at 3:54 PM.
    Michael Ray Smith

Blog Entries
    But $120? That's getting there. I'm a regular at our local Woodcraft store
    Do they ever have sales or customer appreciation events?

Might be a good idea to keep some cash on hand just in case.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    Hmmm... $120 huh?

I have a Stanley No. 2, Sweetheart era, that I use a lot. I make mostly relatively small boxes, so small planes make sense to begin with, but I really like the No. 2 for smoothing purposes. The small size makes it ideal for smoothing small areas of tearout that a larger smoother could fix but only by taking out a larger area. I have a couple of different replacement blades for it (one with a straight edge and one with just a bit of camber -- I set aside the original blade with the Sweetheart logo to preserve its value to collectors when my kids clean out all my stuff after I'm gone!), and I've played with it enough that I have a good feel for how to fettle it. I've wondered about a No. 1 as the logical extension,-- an even smaller double-iron plane. I've never been tempted to pay the high prices that Stanley No. 1's command, and I had never even noticed that LN has one -- which I now see is $225, and still probably more than I'd want to pay. But $120? That's getting there. I'm a regular at our local Woodcraft store, but I've never tried a Woodriver plane. Anyone have any experience with them?

I teach a plane tune up class at the local (Tucson) woodcraft store. a student brought in a brand new in box WR #5. I was favorably impressed with the fit and finish. a little deburring on a fine stone of the underside of the chipbreaker, a quick hone of the cutter and it was cutting well. it has a nice solid feel. that said, I haven't used one for an extended length of time, so I can't comment on the ergonomics or edge longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do they ever have sales or customer appreciation events?

jtk
    Funny you should say that, Jim. I was already thinking about hitting up the manager to order one (they don't have any in stock, unless it has come in within the last couple of weeks) and let me test it out for him!
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ray Smith View Post
    Hmmm... $120 huh?

Hi Michael,
    I bought a wood river #3 last year. It was flat, square and sharp out of the box and as a hobbyist, it was sufficient for my needs. (I posted a review here last year, but havent figured out how to link to that with this tablet.) I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-09-2014 at 4:28 PM. Reason: typos
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I always appreciate the Community's help and experience.

Im leaning toward getting one, maybe as a birthday or Christmas gift.

Fred