Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantages of the lunchbox design for planers?

Advantages of the lunchbox design for planers?

I can read the list of features for lunchbox planers like the DeWalt 735 and compare them to the simpler type of planer like the DeWalt 734, but, in general, what advantages are there to the lunchbox style of surface planer vs the simpler style. (What would you call the simpler style? - "washing machine ringer"?)

I think that every planer that doesn't have its own built in stand/cabinet is considered a lunchbox planer. The dw734 is an excellent example of the typical lunchbox planer, while the 735 is a step up but still a LB planer.
    The advantages of a LB plane over a stationary planer are that is cheap and portable, great for hobby use. A stationary planer will be quieter and able to take a bigger/deeper cut, and usually will have a bigger/wider capacity.
    Are you asking for a comparison between the dw734 and dw735?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I can read the list of features for lunchbox planers like the DeWalt 735 and compare them to the simpler type of planer like the DeWalt 734, but, in general, what advantages are there to the lunchbox style of surface planer vs the simpler style. (What would you call the simpler style? - "washing machine ringer"?)
    The lunchbox is the simpler machine. The 735 is a lunchbox. Lunchbox = all portable planers. Their lightweight build design usually means a urethane feed roller so you can actually take lighter passes than a floor machine and not have feed marks. They are also cheaper and more portable as they typically weigh less than 100lbs (that weight is not an advantage when you actually use it). Zero other advantages. They are horribly loud and really take up most of the footprint of a floor standing machine once on a stand.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a Mini Max FS35 and a Dewalt 735. I initially only had the Dewalt, then bought the Mini Max. I did not sell the Dewalt because if necessary I can tweak in the dimensioning better with the Dewalt. Also if I just needed to plane one or two boards I use the Dewalt. However if I am joining and planning a lot of wood I use the Mini Max as it is much faster by taking off more in a pass and feeds faster. I got by with the Dewalt for a long time with a 6" jointer, but got a good deal on the Mini Max and it is a combo machine.

I have a 13yo delta lunchbox planer 506 (but there was a lower lunchbox model 504. Kind of like your 734/735. At the time, it had better dust collection capability.
    It actually results in a great finish and the dust collection is excellent. I also have a grizzly combo helix JP which I use just as a jointer. The lunchbox planer is quite noisy, but just because you need to put it on a stand to use it, you don't have to leave it that way. So space, and price are its advantages. I suspect that some of the lower level model lunchbox planers might be used by contractors who don't need good dust collection at a work site. But that's just a guess.
    jonathan

I had a ridgid 12 inch and a craftsman 15 inch lunchbox style planer. the ridgid was basically useless to me (even with sharp blades) it could take off about 1/64 of an inch, and sometimes seemed to struggle, I sold it in favor of the craftsman which was bigger, slightly better but still so slow it almost made me give up on wood working.

I then bought a craftsman (foley-belsaw) 220 volt planer and it worked quite well, made woodworking alot more enjoyable, but I didn't like the 12 inch limitation. so now I have a grizzly 20 inch have used it very little, because I just got it, sharpened blades, adjusted all the rollers etc. but it seems to be working the best so far.

If I was doing it again I would have saved my money and went directly to a real planer, and this was when I only had a 10x16 inch shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Are you asking for a comparison between the dw734 and dw735?
    The specifications make most of differences between the planers clear. I just don't understand why the features of the 735 require that it have such a different shape.

I would like to know about the ease of changing knives on on the two planers. I have an old 12" Craftsman planer that is similar in shape to the DW734. It requires a lot of fiddling and adjusting to change the knives. I have the impression that the Dewalt planers have a quicker system.

Cost, portability, and fits in small shop. Unless these three criteria were on my list I would not choose one of these machines over a full size floor model. But I would own one if I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The specifications make most of differences between the planers clear. I just don't understand why the features of the 735 require that it have such a different shape.
    Perhaps it is this: "The second major difference is seen in the carriage lock mechanism, which is an essential component for reducing the effect of snipe. The DW734 features a manual, four column carriage lock. This means that you will have to turn the lever through several revolutions to lock the board in place. On the other hand, the DW735 comes with ‘automatic carriage lock’, thus removing the need for user engagement."
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

The 735 also has two speeds.

I had the 734 for years and it is a great planer. I'm not sure what exactly Scott means by several turns to lock a board in place. It becomes second nature on the 734 to give the handle a couple turns then quickly lock the lever, plane, unlock, repeat. Blade changes are very simple on the 734, I can't speak to the 735 but I think it has the same design.

Stephen: Blade changes on the 735 are very easy. There is no setting up. The blades fit on pins in the head. The blades are two sided. When both sides are dull, they are thrown away. They are not made to be sharpened, although you can get a bit more life out of them by honing them carefully.

Many users replace the stock head with a Helix head. The head cost almost as much as the planer, but it does quiet it down quite a bit. It's a screamer stock. According to Dewalt, putting a helix head on the 735 voids the warranty, as it puts more stress on the motor.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The 735 is a big step up from other lunchbox planers. If you don't need to take off a lot in one pass, you won't be disappointed.

Machines like the Dewalt punch above their weight class, for the money.

They have twin benefits; lower cost and portability.
    Most American woodworkers use power tools in a garage
    or shed, where space is at a premium.

I doubt the utility of the surface planer, unless you're rendering your own lumber.
    Most lumberyards have supplied me with "skip planed" lumber
    that takes minutes to dress by hand.

Unless you're in a production shop, or working with REALLY long boards
    it's cheaper to let someone else own the planer and clean up in your shop.

I am going to disagree respectfully with Jim's view, at least with respect to the hardwood dealers I have used. You can use a hand plane to clean up boards that the dealer has planed and you can even hand plane them to uniform thickness. If you don't want to work with standard thicknesses, however, you will have to exert some effort to get there by hand. I like being able to design with the freedom to make a shelf 13/16" thick or a drawer side 5/16" and, while I certainly could use the exercise, I don't want to have to sweat to get there.

Totally reasonable to exchange electrons for time, or customize your materials.

I bought most of my dressed lumber from Downes and Reader. They use an ancient planer the size of a car wash.

I can't afford, or store something so large.
    A lunch box planer tops out around 12" widths,
    And this lift had boards near 18" wide.

Nominal 7/8ths skip planed from them easily dresses to 3/4 by hand.