Thread: Sign Materials Help

Sign Materials Help

Hey guys,
    I have a request for a few small signs and I wanted to get your thoughts on the best materials for the job. The request is for a metallic looking sign like in the picture. I have the freedom to design it up how I feel best. My question are as follows:

1. Whats the correct thickness and best source for a brushed aluminum sheet for this blank? The more specific the better!
    http://www.onlinemetalsupply.com/707...48-alclad.html

2. Dimensional letters would be made with PVC. Is there a better material for this? What specific type and sources ore there for this?
    http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/PVC...Y0-500EXT24X48

Thanks, Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can cut PVC board letter with a CNC, but will have to paint them. If you use laser cut black acrylic they will look great without paint. We have many local sources for brushed aluminum, stainless steel or other metals, better to see it before you buy it and not have to pay shipping if you can find it locally.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My Dentist Office has a inside wall sign that is PVC with metal vinyl that is very impressive.... just a thought.... They even cnc routed through the vinyl for a more impressive look.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

What kind of equipment do you have?

On the panel, you can either use solid aluminum or aluminum laminated to PVC. I'd go thicker than .04". I'd probably want it to be at least .125" thick.

As for the letters, Joe covered it. Not exactly sure you'd need to paint them if cut on the CNC. Black PVC should be fine without being painted. The edges of the letters will be greyish though. Black laser cut acrylic is a nicer look overall.

Also there is some sort of box with all the LEDs and electrical components which also acts as a mount and offset. Your call on how you want to handle that BUT it could be an issue with an electrical inspector if you don't do it the "right" way.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving