Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would A Nova G3 Chuck Be A Good Choice For A Jet 1221VS Lathe?

Would A Nova G3 Chuck Be A Good Choice For A Jet 1221VS Lathe?

Now that I've ordered a Jet 1221VS as my first lathe I'm thinking about some of the other components I need to also purchase to fully utilize it. So that you know, and of course this could change once I get into it, my interest today is in turning bowls, plates, platters, Christmas ornaments, candlestick holders and vases.

I'm trying to determine which brand and model chuck makes the most sense from both a versatile and financial viewpoint.

From reading a number of threads on this site and elsewhere, a Nova G3 model 48202 with standard jaws and a Nova brand 1" 8TPI UNC RH insert seems like a very good choice.

Before I order one, I'd like to get input from the experienced turners on this site whether they think a G3 makes sense.

Thank you

Dom

Yes. Makes a lot of sense. I have the same lathe and one of those chucks and I'm happy with it.

There is a nice array of jaws available and they interchange with the other nova chucks.

There is a seller on eBay with a good price on the new chuck with insert.

IMHO that would be a very good choice. You could upgrade to an SN2, but the G3 is a solid chuck designed for that size lathe. My only problem with the G3, and its just a personal preference (I had two and sold them to upgrade to SN2s) was that I do not like the geared wrench. I prefer the allen key used by the SN2. My grandson has a G3 on his 1014.

I prefer just about any other nova jaws over the standard jaws. They are a dovetail on the outside but not the inside. The 3" bowl jaws are my favorites - they grip the same size tenon and will grip a dovetail, but they are 50% larger in expansion mode and are much heavier. Unfortunately, even if you find the chuck bare (no jaws) the cost of the chuck + jaws is higher than the cost of the basic kit. Just be aware that you may want to buy extra jaws down the road. I'm sure others will chime in quickly as to their preferences.

BTW, I have 5 SN2s - each with different jaws mounted and an old PSI chuck (my original starter) with the pin jaws on an adapter for my 1642.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very timely and interesting thread for me. I'm looking for my first lathe too and my top contender so far is the Jet 1221VS. Chucks are another story.

From what I can find, Nova chucks (like the G3 and Infinity) seem to get good reviews. So its good to know that they work with the 1221VS.

OTOH, there may be other good chucks out there too. Does anyone have with Nova and non-Nova chucks to compare them? I.e. any other chucks to consider?

Thanks,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

The G3 is a good chuck and would likely suit you for quite a while. I bought the SuperNova2 for my first chuck and since then have purchased another. I bought both through the refurbished deals on Teknatool's website. I believe they were $99 + an adaptor for my threads. They have performed very well for me and short of the allen wrench wearing the end out (ad to grind off 1/4" to get good sides again) they are good chucks. I also have a Vicmarc VL120 and at 3x the price... it is in a different class. The higher priced Oneways are at that same level too. The gearing, fit and finish are all of a higher standard.

Are they worth the premium? Maybe. For me, if I want another chuck, I would either go with another SN2 so I can use the same wrench or another Vicmarc (for the same reason and the better quality).

Good news is that the G3 (or whatever one you buy) won't likely be your last! The vortex has a way with us turners buying more and more stuff.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have Nova's, four of which are G3s' and they work fine.
    1+ on what Dan said of looking on ebay (Nova g3) and there should be a seller offering the G3 for about $135 including your choice of insert and free shipping.
    The standard 2" jaws will do a lot of work for you.
    For candle sticks and vases the 35mm Spigot jaws (not the 35mm Bowl jaws) are a nice set to add when you are turning open end a distance from the headstock. They take a tenon +1" long. The 45mm Spigot jaws will do the same thing but the expansion (recess) is the same as your 2" jaws so that would be a duplication.

I use my G3's more than my SN/SN2's.
    The G3 should handle anything your lathe can.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I think one point to raise that I have not seen yet is that Nova chucks all take the same jaws I believe. So if you start off with the G3 and pick up a few extra jaw sets, then decide to move up in the Nova series, those jaws should come right along with you.

Look for the G3-D, aka the Delta 46-461. It has a set screw to lock on to the spindle for reverse turning, otherwise its a standard G3 with 1" x 8 tpi. I agree with Thom about the geared key, but its not bad and sure beats tommy bars. It is widely available, but here it is at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Industri...ustrial+46-461

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grebinski View Post
    Look for the G3-D, aka the Delta 46-461. It has a set screw to lock on to the spindle for reverse turning, otherwise its a standard G3 with 1" x 8 tpi. I agree with Thom about the geared key, but its not bad and sure beats tommy bars. It is widely available, but here it is at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Industri...ustrial+46-461
    This looks like even a better deal. The only drawback to direct threaded is that if will not transfer to a larger spindle IF you ever upgrade the size of your lathe. From the pictures it also appears the 2" jaws with the set manufactured for Delta are much deeper in the tenon area and have serrations unlike normal2" jaws. They may well serve as spigot jaws also. Maybe someone who has them can measure the depth of the interior.

A G3 would be fine.

Two comments

Get a G3 version with the insert. My first chuck was a G3, bought to use on a Jet mini (1" spindle). I soon bought a Jet 1642 (1 1/4" spindle). All I had to do use the G3 on the bigger lathe was change the insert rather than use an adapter, as would be required by a direct threaded version, or buy a second chuck. It has also been convenient for when I do demos -- I can change the adapter in the chuck to whatever the lathe at the demo location requires. I have done demos at the local Woodcraft on a 1221, 1642, and Powermatic. A ~$20 adapter means I can use the same chuck on any one of those, rather than having two direct-threaded chucks.

As also pointed out -- Nova jaws are compatible with various sizes of Nova chucks, so if you later get a larger Nova chuck, all jaws you already have would be usable.

I have a lot of chucks from most manufacturers (the major ones anyway). I have always stated that you cannot go wrong by buying one of the major three - Nova, Vicmarc and Oneway. I will add Axminster to that group and I'm trying Bulldog Chucks from Chucks Plus which so far have done very well. Chucks are like lathes and tools everybody has their favorites and everybody thinks theirs are the best. Most of what I own are Nova chucks and that is because every jaw set except for the old 5" Powergrip jaws will fit every standard Nova Chuck (not counting the new Nova Infinity chuck), the price for the chucks and a decent two year no hassle warranty. The standard 2" jaws that come with most of the chucks have served me well as I have turned thousands of pieces using these jaws. The screw that comes with these chucks for me works flawlessly (I have always heard about how good the Oneway screw is but the first time I used mine it broke. Probably a defect but I have a ton of the Novas so I never worried about it). OK so what might you not like that is different about the Novas - they tighten counter clockwise and loosen clockwise, all the rest are righty tighty and lefty loosey. I've not used every brand of chuck so that might mean that there are other good chucks out there but I do know about those mentioned here. And lastly two chuck I will never buy - the aforementioned Infinity and the Easy Chuck - very expensive hype! Lots of choices out there but like everything else find something you like and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    . OK so what might you not like that is different about the Novas - they tighten counter clockwise and loosen clockwise, all the rest are righty tighty and lefty loosey.
    I agree up to a point. All chucks have a righty-tighty lefty-loosey function. The difference is the Nova tightens in a recess and others tighten on a tenon. No matter which chuck you use, if you use both recesses and tenons, righty tighty will be wrong 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I agree up to a point. All chucks have a righty-tighty lefty-loosey function. The difference is the Nova tightens in a recess and others tighten on a tenon. No matter which chuck you use, if you use both recesses and tenons, righty tighty will be wrong 50% of the time.
    Good point!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a nova and a vicmarc and they are opposite directions.

Hasn't been an issue for me. I know which one is which.

I can see how it would be confusing though.

Michael,

Good info, but I'm bit confused... Above you wrote, "...Nova tightens in a recess and others tighten on a tenon." The best video I could find about the Nova G3 (see below) shows them being used in a recess and a tenon. Am I misunderstanding your comment?

Thanks,

Dan.

Last edited by Dan Clark; 11-11-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.